The Pond | Teen Ink

The Pond

May 22, 2011
By cokland BRONZE, Southlake, Texas
cokland BRONZE, Southlake, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt


The first day I saw the Pond I fell in love with it. The way the light shimmered through the water so that you could see the fish glisten up at you. The choclate brown bridge that curved over the water in such a way that it filled you with suspense to see what was on the other side. I still remember hearing the trickling water from the water fall that created calmness.

One of my favorite things about that place would probably be that it is in my grandparents backyard; there backyard had a red barn that was filled with horses and cows. Every Sunday before church my family would go to my grandparent’s house. When we arrived I remember walking in the house and smelling the cinnamon cookies in the oven, and hearing the rock-n-roll music playing in the background. My grandfather was a huge rock-n-roll fan and that is something I will always remember about him. While we were there I just remember laughing and smiling and just having fun. It was like nothing else mattered in the world because I was surrounded by people that loved me for just being me.

I guess you could say I had a strong bond with my grandparents. Nothing made me more excited then knowing I was going to see them. My grandma is the kind of person that knows just what to say to you and how to give you the right advice. My grandfather, was like my best friend, I told him everything and he always watched me in sports and helped me with them. Every week when I came to there house they would buy me a new fish. There were all different kinds of small fish, big fish, and rainbow fish. I fed the fish, I watched the fish, and I loved the fish. On top of the pond were these huge dark green Lillie pads. Sometimes at night if you listen you could here and see frogs and here them croak.

You know the old adage; all good things must come to an end, well that’s kind of what happened to me. One week I came home from school and my parents sat me down and told me that my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer. I could feel the pressure building up in my eyes and could taste the salt from the hard tears streaming down my face. I did not know what to think except for the fact that he might be gone. A year later he died in the hospital, and my grandma sold the house. So I had to go to her house and see the Pond for the last time. I just sat there on the bridge and started crying and now I just tear up when I think about that place. I will always hold my grandfather and the Pond close to my heart.