Thank You Veterans | Teen Ink

Thank You Veterans

By alyssa19 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
alyssa19 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,

I recently watched a video explaining Honor Flight and the extraordinary ways the  organization honors you and fellow veterans. I was amazed by the video as it opened my eyes to how important it is for veterans to be honored the way they should be. I am so thankful the Honor Flight allows you to view the Memorials made in honor of you and your contribution to our country. The work our soldiers do for America, in addition to the bravery it takes to leave your family and life to go fight for our Country is so astronomical. I don’t think my words would be able to describe the amount of gratitude I want to express to you.

As I am finishing high school soon and plan on going to college, it is hard to think that instead of continuing with my education, I could have been drafted into the war and had to fight just like many of you. With all of that being said, I would love to take the time to thank you for your service.

A few years back, I had the opportunity to visit Washington D.C. with my family and explore and learn from all of the war memorials and other historical sites. I can truly say that out of all the places I have visited in my life, D.C was by far the most influential trip I have ever taken. Being able to touch all of the names on the Vietnam Veterans wall and walk past all the graves at the Arlington Memorial Cemetery gave me an even greater appreciation for our veterans and men and women who are currently in service. I was able to really see the devastating affects of war which gave me an even greater respect for those who risk their lives for my freedom.

As you have just seen your own War Memorial for possibly the first time, I can only imagine the great amount of pride it gave you being able to see how much everyone appreciates you and all of the incredible work you did for our country. I hope you felt as though you made a positive impact on America, as I believe you did. 
Freedom to me is being able to do and say what I wish as well as express what I want without consequences, as long I am following all laws. I feel so blessed that living in America I am free as I know many other countries do not have the same privilege. Knowing that we earned our freedom because of brave veterans like you makes me forever appreciative and prideful to live in this amazing country.

I am hopeful that someday I will be able to look back on my life and know I have made an impact on someone else’s life, just like you should know you have. Thank you a million times over for your service and I hope you are enjoying this day in honor of you, you deserve it.

Sincerely,
Aly Ells