Why America's Veterans Mean So Much to Me | Teen Ink

Why America's Veterans Mean So Much to Me

March 6, 2017
By carmen.99 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
carmen.99 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,

I would like to start out thanking you for everything you have done to serve your country. My name is Carmen Scaringi, and I am a junior at my High School. I am writing today after watching the Honor Flight movie in class, and I would like to thank you for all you have done for your country and to make sure you know the work you have put in has not gone unnoticed.

Today, kids walk around with everything handed to them. But as we grow up, we begin to understand the meaning of hard work. As I get older, I begin to realize how different my experience growing up is compared to yours. And for these differences, I have to thank you.

When you were my age, you were drafted into the military. Today I am able to grow up and get an education in a field of my choosing, and if I would like to join the military, it will be my decision. To me, that is freedom. For that freedom, I have to thank you, and the hundreds of other veterans who fought for my freedom and the freedom of all Americans.

When I was in eighth grade, I had the pleasure to see the war memorials you have just visited. For me, it was a once in a lifetime experience. I can’t imagine how amazing it must’ve been for you. I remember my teachers saying how rare it was for veterans to visit the memorials built in their honor. Today, you were able to see what you and the battles you fought mean to the American people. On behalf of all of us, I would like to say thank you again.

When I think of the hard work and effort you put into making this country free, it makes me proud to live in such a great country like this one. Thank you for your service.

Sincerely,

Carmen