My Light This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

“Who did you sit with at lunch today?” I asked him.

“Nobody.” He responded starring down at his worn shoes.

“Why?” I questioned, almost immediately after the words left his chapped lips.

“No one will sit with me, but I like to be by myself, I can think easily.”

“Oh.” I whisper as tears well up in my eyes.

Adam H. is very tall for his age, with course brown hair, green-brown eyes, and a bright smile painted on his face. He always says “I’m not into fashion, I’m not into fashion!” whenever I scold his clothing choices. Most days you will see him wearing a worn tee-shirt of a vacation spot my family has traveled to, and athletic sweat pants or faded jeans. His voice is warm and sweet, some quality makes it almost impossible to ignore. I can not tell you how much I love that kid.

Everyone can remember the person in their grade that was made fun of daily. Most people even enjoy joining in on the teasing ritual. Normally it is Adam who is directly or indirectly being hurt without his even knowing it, or knowing all too well that there is something wrong. He does have something wrong with him, but I would never say that is wrong or his fault. The dictionary might say that it is ‘a pervasive developmental disorder of children characterized by impaired communication, excessive rigidity and emotional detachment’, but when you live with someone who suffers and shines with autism it is a very different concept. Adam has autism, but most days I don’t even think about that. I only think of how lucky and how much I have changed by having Adam as a brother.

I watch my peers every day, and I have changed. As if I see things through a different lens than those around me. To say that Adam has changed my life is an understatement. Adam has done so much more for me, my parents, and anyone who comes in acquaintance with him. He has taught us unconditional love and a never ending patient for others through his hardships.

I have experienced at lot in my life through Adam, some days I wonder how I am able to continue. A little light warms my soul to travel on through the dark. Adam is that light for me. He is special in many more ways than one. He gives me ideas to grow off of and to build onto. Adam is my brother, my hero in life, and I love him very much.

Thefanatasticagirlie101 said...
Dec. 13 at 2:18 pm
I was on the verge of tears when I read this article. It is so inspirational towards others. I have a brother who has a speech impairment, so he can't express himself, so this relates to him in a way. Awesome Job! I'm going to love this article!

meganc33 said...
This was a very sweet story. It's really sad when people make fun of people for having a disabilty like autism.

sweetangel4life said...
i really enjoyed reading this! its sweet. my brother alost died when he was hit by a car on his secvond day of kindergarten, but now he's a fourth grader who is overly popular.  keep writing :)

CammyS said...
Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:37 am
That's really sweet. I feel the exact same way about my little brother, who I love to death. 

Shen4 said...
Nov. 5, 2012 at 3:50 am
i like the way you discribed you younger(?) brother as a light. that's how i saw mine ... until ... he died ...

BilbroSwaggins This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great piece!!!

Lizzy31This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:49 am
i love this article . it made me emotional. your brother is very lucky to have you as a sister. so are you to have him as a brother .there so many autistic children out there and almost none of them have someone to care the way you care and love your brother. i feel sorry for those people who don't know how love and care  and who are so stupid  to  have fun at the cost of others.

WindDancer said...
Sept. 22, 2012 at 9:00 am
This is beautiful. It was really moving to hear his story through your eyes. I'm glad he has you for a sister. Very well written. Thank you for sharing.

K@.love-teen-ink said...
i love this artical very much i was in tears it has so much love i admire how you feel for him and what he goes through i would wish very much for a loving caring brother like you your an amazing brother your a roll model a hero and an amazing wroter keep it going

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Lovely.  It is such a shame people are mean to such beautiful people.  This was so well written. Thank you for it.

lulu witcom said...
Autism is a deep concept and the people who make fun of those with autism don't understand it's complexity. I believe that autistic people are capable of loving so much more deeply and affectionately, yet they are looked down upon in many societies, which is completely wrong. I have a special kind of love for these people and I can tell that you do as well. This brought tears to my eyes as I read it. Excellent work. 

PaintandBooks97 said...
This is beautiful. You can really tell what your brother goes through, and what it's like to be autistic. Great writing!

M-star said...
Aug. 31, 2012 at 6:53 am
This is one great article! I know some people with autism too and they're always so nice to me and your article reminds me of them!:)

DemonAngel said...
I really love this article!!My cousin is autistic and ive seen him go through alot but i love how optimistic you are about it but i agree its a bit short but its also short sweet and to the point

sweetangel4life replied...
i have an autistic cousin too

TaphephobiaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I really like how this wasnt simply an educational/informational argument and instead you ended it simply with the fact that you really love him even though a lot of the world sees him as one with many "faults".

free2believe said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 11:40 am
Every time i hear something about autstic ppl, i hear they're the sweetest ppl in the world, and this article really made me believe tht :)

alex27 said...
May 13, 2012 at 4:48 am
idk wat 2 say. i feel sorry for ur bro. autistic ppl shd never be laughed at. tat's so mean

freetospeak said...

this is beautiful,

i totally understand because i have an autistic brother. good job :)

silentcries said...
Very beautiful! Very!