Mr. Freeburg | Teen Ink

Mr. Freeburg

By Karly Herrera SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Karly Herrera SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

I signed up for Mr. Freeburg’s class to fill an English credit for my senior year and also because I heard this class was fun and interesting. I thought we were going to have to read the same dreary classic novels I have read all throughout high school, but when Mr. Freeburg handed out the syllabus on the first day of the second semester listing the books that we would be reading over the next few months, I was pleasantly surprised that I have never heard of any of them.
When our class began the first book, I dreaded having to finish a two hundred-page novel in just a week’s time. Lets face it, not everyone is pumped up to read a large volume book for homework. However, as I read deeper into the book, I found it to be more interesting than I had originally thought it would be.
Instead of doing weekly quizzes like other English classes, we do class discussions and fun activities like puppet shows. Mr. Freeburg makes learning fun and interesting for the entire class. He integrates sarcasm and jokes into his everyday routine and makes students aspire to finish each book. This is why I nominate Mr. Freeburg as Educator of the Year.