Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

May 8, 2017
By JLiempeck SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
JLiempeck SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
If a thing is worth doing,
It's worth doing right.

-Hunter S. Thopson


School has never been a place that excited me!  If I wasn’t interested in a subject or class, I had a difficult time staying engaged.  At an early age I was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and it was a struggle to stay focused on most tasks.  So when you put together a boring subject, with 30 students who are distracting, you get an off-task student in me.  To be honest, there wasn't much about middle school that I enjoyed.


I will never forget my first day of eighth grade.  Cocky, confident and carefree were words to describe me at this point in my life. I walked to school that morning with a smile on my face and a healthy attitude as it was a new year and another chance to make more friends. I walked up the sidewalk and joined the students, I was greeted by what felt like 200 staff members all waving and cheering, “Welcome students to North Shore Middle School.” North Shore Middle School's mission statement truly describes who they are and what the teachers and staff members do on a daily basis. “North Shore Middle School is a collaborative, creative and innovative learning community, committed to academic excellence while nurturing the development of the whole learner.” I felt like the school accomplished exactly this and I felt like one staff member in particular, was the best at putting the students needs first and his name is Mr. Muehls.


Mr. Muehls, a well rounded guy, (a blast to be around) and a person I could always rely on. Mr Muehls has a wife and two children. He currently is a special education teacher and chess club adviser for the chess club. Mr. Muehls knows a plethora of information ranging from multiple subjects school subjects, history, current events and overall he was just a factual guy and I think that is why I always went to  him to help me with whatever I needed. He was always there to help with anything and he always wanted the best for his students. He was an inspiration ashe always supplied the less fortunate kids with a snack or some Ramen Noodles. Mr. Muehls was and still is my favorite teacher who lends a helping hand. Mr. Muehls always had a way to make classes more interesting, i'm not sure what it was, but whenever he entered the room, it I felt a sigh of relief like the class actually looked forward to learning because M.r Muehls just gave good vibes and was a fun person.  For all of these reasons, I am nominating Mr. Muehls as Teacher of the Year.