Christina Roback, Band • New Buffalo High School | Teen Ink

Christina Roback, Band • New Buffalo High School MAG

By smoothjazzmusic SILVER, New Buffalo, Michigan
smoothjazzmusic SILVER, New Buffalo, Michigan

“Sometimes I think,
I need a spare heart to feel
all the things I feel.”
― Sanober Khan

Every morning at 10:30, 50 students walk into the crowded band room. You hear several unpleasant noises, all coming from a variety of instruments and students. A tuba in the corner will be blasting “Be Prepared,” hoping that some day it will be in one of the marching shows. The flutes will be playing notes higher than ears can handle, and the trumpets will be sounding off in a pointless competition.

To any other teacher, this would be mayhem, but to Christina Roback of New Buffalo High School, it’s just an average day. Every day she wakes up in anticipation of seeing these awkward band kids, and every day she inspires them to continue pursuing their common passion: a love of music.

Ms. Roback’s impact reaches much further than this band room. For the past eight years, she has directed school musicals, put on band concerts, and taught musically inclined students how to use their gift. Without Ms. Roback, there would be no real entertainment in this small, uneventful town in Michigan.

Last fall, Ms. Roback took the high school band on a trip to Disney World. That week in Florida was the basis of many amazing memories for us, and without her that trip would not have happened. She gave us one of the most magical experiences of our lives. During the trip, the entire band bonded as a family, with the most caring band director at our head. Ms. Roback brought us together and has made my four years in band the best possible.

My respect for Ms. Roback goes beyond the classroom. I have struggled in school and at home. She always has an open ear and is very understanding. She goes out of her way to help me and other students with things that many teachers wouldn’t take the time to do. For example, in eighth grade, I got my first solo in a musical. The musical wasn’t directed by Ms. Roback, and I was struggling, so I asked her for advice. She gave me more than I could have imagined and also helped me with my singing.

Every morning at 10:30, 50 students walk into the crowded band room. We are welcomed by a smiling teacher who never hesitates to comfort the tubas, mute the flutes, and mediate the trumpets. Ms. Roback is more than a teacher; she is a friend. I am looking forward to spending the rest of my high school years growing musically alongside her.