Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

December 16, 2015
By hannahjones_44 BRONZE, Harlan, Kentucky
hannahjones_44 BRONZE, Harlan, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 0 comments



Imagine having a coach that pushed you to be your best even when you felt like giving up while running in practice. Coach Derrick Akal should be Educator of the Year. Coach Akal should be Educator of the Year because he makes sure that we never give up, he wants us to always give him our best all the time, and he has made an impact on my life.
Coach Akal teaches us to never give up. For example, he makes us keep going even when we want to quit. If you are having a bad day at practice, he’ll remind you to keep going. When we run, he pushes us mentally to keep going. He does that to let us know we can keep going and that we shouldn’t give up. Therefore, he never wants us to give up.
Furthermore, He always wants us to give him everything we have. For example, when we mess up, he makes us run. The more you mess up, the more he’ll make you run. You’ll feel like your legs could fall off but we know that it’ll pay off during the actual games. This will pay off in the actual game because when it’s 4th quarter and the score is tied, we must keep going to get the win. Thus, he expects nothing but our best. 
He has made an impact on my life. For example, he has taught me so much about basketball and life. He’s taught me more about basketball in 1 year than anyone else ever has. He has made me want to become a better person and to be successful in life because he is such a good person and volunteers his own time to help us get better. Therefore, he has changed my life.
Once again, Coach Akal should be Educator of the Year. I believe he deserves this award because he won’t let us give up, he expects our very best all the time, and he made an impact on my life. You should definitely choose him for Educator of the Year.