Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By aschaubel SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
aschaubel SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Going to class in sixth grade was an adventure. My teacher, Mr. Sturm, who taught us all subjects that year, would take us--figuratively--to different places every day. Instead of just reading about the ancient Greeks and Romans, we got to live and experience it. Being a kid who learned better by doing, his teaching style was perfect for me. I never got bored in class because there was always something to be excited about. That was the atmosphere Mr. Sturm created in his classroom.

Mr. Sturm was the kind of teacher who saw the good in all students and brought out the best in them. He made sure that everyone was involved in what we were doing along with a great sense of humor; I can’t remember one day where I didn’t laugh. Being a teacher for all subjects is not easy, but he found a way to teach us the lessons and connect them.

Sixth grade was a big project year at Richmond. Rather than having tests at the end of every unit, we would often times complete projects. The major projects were in social studies. We started off the year learning about Otzi the Iceman in the Alps. Our assignment was to come up with a way that Otzi died and then create a video acting it out. We ended the year competing in our own Roman Olympic games. Mr. Sturm made us think critically and open our minds to new ideas.

Anyone who has had Mr. Sturm as a teacher knows about cow candies. Cow candies are a candy (which aren’t made anymore) that he would give to us if we made a bright connection. As a 6th grader, it meant that you were at the top of the world. I remember answering a tough question and hearing Mr. Sturm say, “That deserves a….Cow Candy!” I would walk up to the front of the class proudly where he held out a jar and I picked one out as the other kids would clap.

Mr. Sturm made learning not feel like a chore, but like something we couldn’t get enough of. Kids in his class were thirsty for knowledge and I think that is the sign of a truly special educator. A lot of times, students don’t want to be the smartest kid, in fear of embarrassment or being made fun of. Though in Mr. Sturm’s class, I felt as though everyone was trying to not only become smarter, but also become smarter together.
Since there were many projects that year, so we got independent work time. My class was like a community--everyone did their own thing, but then we also came together to learn from each other. I learned how to be independent, yet work with others in small and large groups.

I will never forget when Mr. Sturm brought in a pheasant he hunted for my friend Grace and me to cook for part of a project. Our job was to create a cookbook of recipes that one could make in the wilderness, and bring in an example of a recipe. The project was based on the book The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. It was creative ideas like those that sets him apart from other teachers.

I believe an educator of the year should be courteous, imaginative, and a good role-model. Mr. Sturm exceeds these expectations. He creates a comfortable, friendly learning environment for students of all types and brings them together. Not only did I acquire knowledge of all of the school subjects, but also life lessons. That is why I am nominating my sixth grade teacher, Mr. Sturm, for educator of the year. Sixth grade was a year I will never forget thanks to Mr. Sturm.