Mr.Stuber | Teen Ink

Mr.Stuber

March 13, 2015
By kenzie913 BRONZE, HARTLAND, Wisconsin
kenzie913 BRONZE, HARTLAND, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Mr. Stuber

I always failed one or two classes each year. But sophomore year, everything came crashing down--including family deaths, tragedies and my parents almost getting a divorce.  
At the beginning of my sophomore year, two of my great grandparents passed away and my grandfather was diagnosed with stage 4 terminal brain cancer. The deaths distracted me from my education--but when I found out my grandfather wasn’t in tip top health, I stopped caring about my education.
One day a man with short, spiky, blonde hair came into my study hall and pulled me into his office. Before this, I had never stepped foot in the counselor's office so naturally, I thought I had done something wrong.
We walked into his small office and he told me to take a seat.
“Hi, I’m Mr. Stuber, your school counselor,” he explained. “Your mom called and asked me to talk to you about what's going on in your life.”
At first I was hesitant to open up to Mr. Stuber, but as I started to explain everything, he actually understood what was going on in my life==and that made me feel like there was still light at the end of the tunnel. He told me his own stories and he helped me find ways to put my personal life to the side and put my education at the top of my priority list.
After a few talks with Mr. Stuber, I realized just because something bad happens doesn't mean I have to put everything on hold. If that were the case, I’d always be putting life on hold (because there are bad thing going on at all times). But when I realized this, it was the end of the year. I ended up failing six classes, but junior year, I worked hard and passed almost all my classes with the help of Mr. Stuber.
Today, I am a senior at arrowhead and am still working hard to figure out this crazy thing called life. My grandfather is still fighting, 2 years after he was diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer. But his health is getting worse by the day which is never good but I have to stay focused which Mr. Suber helped me realize. 
Even though Mr. Stuber isn’t my counselor anymore, everytime I bump into him in the halls, he asks how I’m doing, how my grandpa is doing and he tells me his door is always open if I ever need to talk.
Thank you, Mr. Stuber, for helping me realize my education is the most important thing and that family will always be there for me.
 


The author's comments:

I went through a lot and Mr. Stuber helped me through it and still offers help today even though hes not my counsler anymore