My Inspiration | Teen Ink

My Inspiration

February 1, 2009
By Amanda deBerardinis GOLD, San Diego, California
Amanda deBerardinis GOLD, San Diego, California
18 articles 1 photo 0 comments

One of the greatest influences in my life is my French teacher, Madame Haymaker. Being the first French teacher I have ever had, she has impacted my life in numerous ways, and I have learned a lot from her. I admire her zest and willingness to teach, as well as the care she displays toward her students. Teachers help shape a school community, and their unique perspectives allow students to enjoy learning from them. Madame Haymaker is one who has changed my life, and even after I leave school, I will carry a part of her presence with me.

Ever since I came to the Bishop's School in seventh grade, I have felt welcome in her classroom and gained a sense of belonging. She helped me discover my passion for the French language and culture, and always encourages her students to do their best, helping them reach their full potential. I will always remember how Madame Haymaker touched my life. Not only has she providing me with the linguistic tools to move forward, but prepared me for challenges that lay ahead. I admire how she takes the time to go the extra mile to make sure her students fully understand the material and wants the best for them. She is a role model I can look up to, and she devotes her life to teaching and inspiring others.

The true meaning of life is about the acquaintances you make and life-changing influences that you will remember forever. I agree with Scott Adams when he said, 'You don't have to be a 'person of influence' to be influential.' I believe that it is the people you are closest to that inspire and captivate you the most like Madame Haymaker has. The true role of a teacher is to motivate and inspire students, making the learning experience valuable and enjoyable. Every day I looked forward to her class, and benefited from her teaching methods, especially making flash cards, which was my favorite studying activity. Her presence in the classroom warmed my soul, like sunlight shining into the roots of plants, leaving them nourished. John Locke once remarked that, 'No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience.' He believed that human beings are molded by their influences and life experiences, for everyone is born with a 'tabula rasa,' or a blank mind. Everyone has their own unique influences they will hold dear, and I will always remember Madame Haymaker as an important figure in my life, even long after I leave my school.