Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

February 2, 2015
By your_destineeee BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
your_destineeee BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever had a teacher that made you want to do better? Not only in school but in everything you do. And it's not necessarily something they said but how they helped you.

Mrs. Spitsbergen is the best teacher I have ever had, hands down. I never thought I would be able to say that I actually  wanted to go to school because I had math that day. Me being someone that has never really liked school and that had a hard time learning things at the same pace as all the other kids I thought I would always hate it. But being able to go to a class and being able to actually  sit there and understand something and being able to raise my hand and answer questions gave me confidence that I never had before because of confusion or being afraid to get something wrong. It made me think that maybe if I  broke things down into steps like she did in all my other classes that I might be able to do well in all my classes.

I really liked her class because of how inviting she was and how she teached because I had never had a teacher that was able to change how they were teaching if we didn't understand it. If a lot of my class didn't understand what she was saying she would be able to explain it in a different way for all of us to understand and I think that is one of the most important  qualities for a teacher to have. You could tell that she cared about if you got what she was saying or not because she would ask if you needed to stay after and get extra help. I also admired how she would care about her students lives out side of just her class, if you seemed upset she would ask if you are okay and if you wanted to talk about it and that is another very important  quality I believe all teachers should have.

Last year i missed a lot of school and I didn't know how I was going to get caught up and I almost gave up in a lot of my classes. Mrs. Spits is the only teacher that really tryed to help me uderstand what I missed and stayed after school to help me. She didn't just quickly go over things to get them done, she sat there and made sure I understood. And that helped me do better in all my classes because it made me realize that I shouldn't just give up and that there was still time to fix everything. She is one of the reasons I passed last year.

Mrs. Spitsbergen  is the reason math is now my favorite subject and why I don't give up like I use to. And I hope that she knows that she is more than just my tenth grade math teacher to me. I thank her for everything she has done for me.  I think she is the one teacher who really deserves to be  educator of the year.


The author's comments:

Mrs. Zerbe inspired me to write this. I hope Mrs. Spits gets picked for educator of the year!