Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By Sean Moen SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Sean Moen SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Educator of the Year
Spanish has never been one of my favorite subjects.  I come from a Hispanic background and was forced to learn Spanish.  I dread when my mom tries and speak to me in Spanish because I simply can’t learn it.  But my second semester of junior year,  I had Señora Psket and it all changed.
Señora Psket is like a ball of energy and is always excited to teach class.  Her booming voice commands the class with ease, making it easy to concentrate.  Spanish was always difficult to understand, and nothing ever made sense.  But Señora Psket slowed things down and explained what was really happening.  She made me understand why the grammar rules were rules and how they could completely change the meaning of something.
For the first couple weeks in her class, I was quiet and remained to myself because I didn’t have confidence in my Spanish.  When I did this, Señora Psket asked me how things were going and I told her good but she could tell I was struggling to maintain the pace of the class.  That’s when she went into action. She helped me understand what different tenses meant.  The previous semester, I didn’t learn much because I couldn’t find a reason to concentrate on the Spanish.   But second semester, Señora made everything much more interesting.  Slowly, I learned more and became more confident and engaged in class.
Señora Psket’s energy was unmatched.  Everyday I would walk in and she would say “Hola Paco” (my name in her class).  I knew she really cared about every student. 
One day we had an assembly for prom telling us to make smart choices and after I had Señora Psket’s class and she told us about a significant story about a former student.  That day I saw her as more of a person then a teacher I am trying to impress.
I enjoyed my fourth hour Spanish class more than any other that semester and it was because of Señora Psket.  Even the games we played were excellent for helping learn the material.  Everyday in class we did something memorable whether it was a game, a way to memorize material, or even the lecture she would give.  Senora Psket made class enjoyable, exciting, and helpful.
Even though I still am not fluent in Spanish, I learned more in Señora Psket’s class than in any previous Spanish class.  I am thankful for the way she taught because it changed my perspective on learning.  Seoñra Psket is my teacher of the year.  But really she is every student’s teacher of the year.