Mrs. Averell | Teen Ink

Mrs. Averell

By Justin32 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Justin32 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

I have nominated my science teacher Mrs. Averell for this year’s Educator of the Year. I believe she should win because I learn so much in her class, and she is always pushing me to do my best. She has a great sense of humor, but she is also very serious when she needs to be. Class always starts off the same way everyday: roll call, then a warm up question to remind us about what we went over last class.

You will not see Mrs. Averell sitting at her desk making us read from a book. She is up walking around, and she is always getting the class involved in what she’s teaching by calling on many different people and giving us many practice problems to do. While we are practicing, she is walking to every desk asking everyone if they understand the concept, and she doesn’t leave until you do. If she sees you do the practice problem correctly, she will let you go up to the board and write or draw and explain how you’ve answered the problem in front of the whole class.

She tries to make it really easy for everyone to learn; it doesn’t matter what kind of learner you are. She will talk about every lesson up at the board and draw things, she will have us copy down notes from the smart board, and sometimes she will even put on a little video. She makes sure everybody is paying attention during all this by making us do fill in the blank worksheets that she made, for the movies and the notes. It is so easy to feel confidant and prepared about taking her tests and quizzes because you’ve practiced material everyday, and you have plenty of notes to look at. She also gives out study guidelines and usually some extra practice problems so you know exactly what to study for.

There are many classes where we get to do fun labs and experiment with different things. These classes are really fun because we get to work in groups and get to talk a lot. Mrs. Averell is always concerned about our safety, and she won’t let anyone take off their goggles, even if they are in a far corner and really far away from the chemical. If you’re in the room, your goggles are on. She always has the door locked, and she was the only teacher that showed us how to exit the building on the very first day of school, and that same day we were given a paper that explained different types of chemicals and how to help somebody if they were affected by it.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1, listen. This is how Mrs. Averell tells her classes to stop talking, instead of the way most teachers do it by saying Shut Up! That is one of the many things that make her class the best. Everyday it is the class I look the most forward to. She really makes all the lessons simple, so I am able to understand them and do well on her tests. I also think that the one-on-one time she spends with people really helps them and makes them feel more confident. I know that you don’t know Mrs. Averell as well as I do, but I hope that I have given enough information for you to award her the Educator of the Year.