A Teacher to Remember

By , San Diego, CA
Lisa Young
Humanities Teacher
High Tech Middle

Most people would define a good teacher as someone who makes their students excel academically and do well on their tests. I believe that’s almost right, but a little off. I believe that a good teacher doesn’t have one dimension but two. They not only make you excel, but they make you want to go to school. They care about the student’s insecurities and problems, and most importantly they are there to support you.

My teacher is like that. Her name is Ms. Young and she’s changed the way I see the world. She isn’t one of those teachers that will give it their all just to be liked by the students. She honestly doesn't fit in a category of teachers. Although it’s her first year teaching at High Tech Middle she fit in immediately. Normally the project based learning philosophy is hard for new teachers to adapt to, but Ms. Young did it effortlessly.

After nine years of switching from town to town, school to school, and teacher to teacher, Ms. Young is by far the best teacher I’ve ever had. She keeps the class in order, yet manages to make it fun at the same time. She’s always there for academic as well as personal help. Honestly for the first time I don’t want to pass the grade. Ms. Young has taught me a lot over the past school year. I’m not only speaking of history, writing, and reading. She has taught me to appreciate the little things, never judge, and be happy about the work I create. I have grown more in this year than any other, and I owe it almost completely to Ms. Young.

I used to think I was a good writer. Looking back on my work from just last year, I realize how much stronger my writing skills and vocabulary are. Ms. Young has done a superb job preparing me for high school, for which I am very grateful. I feel that I have developed my writing skills most this year than any other year.

Throughout the year Ms. Young has become my role model. I’ve had many people tell me that when they grow up they want to be like her. I believe that becoming half of the teacher she is would be an incredible achievement. I wrote this essay because I believe that she should be recognized. Not only because of her incredible teaching abilities, but because she made a difference in my life. She showed me that hard work pays off, and that I should never give up. These lessons will continue to have an effect on my life throughout high school and college. Thank you Ms. Young.

Mansi Kumar said...
Aug. 2 at 9:50 am:
So true. Good teachers are hard to find and forget. I too have a teacher who means the world to me, no one ever can be better than her. I don't ever pray to God as I worship her. She is my GURU, motivator, mentor and guide! And has always hepled me cope up with times when I felt like my world is turning upside down. Her efforts to GIVE  are commendable. When ever she came to our class her motive was to try any method and make students understand. She has taught me for 5 years and this... (more »)

Potnoodle said...
May 6 at 12:10 pm:
I strongly agree with your point where you think there is two sides to a teacher. I have a teacher, who is actually the assistant headmaster of my school, who makes me want to go to school to take her mathmatic lessons. All teachers should be like that and other teachers who look like they dont enjoy their job should set these people as examples. 

Elise F. said...
Feb. 6 at 8:45 pm:
Good job! Your writing is beautifully fluent and original, and your teacher sounds wonderful!

SuinSparks said...
God uses instrument to be make a change in this world and I believe that He uses this website to make instruments. :) 

winniethepoo said...
May 31, 2012 at 5:03 pm:
Cool. You obviously really idolize your teacher.

lizziie said...
May 31, 2012 at 4:58 pm:
Nicely worded. 

kpalmer said...
May 31, 2012 at 4:57 pm:
Nice writing. Like the way you give a couple examples.

annahlapp said...
May 31, 2012 at 4:56 pm:
Good job. Keep writing.

Ikuluvme said...
May 30, 2012 at 10:34 pm:
Aww (: this is so sweet! Don't stop writing! It's really good! Your teacher must be amazing. I wish I had her!! (:

Charlie said...
May 30, 2012 at 10:32 pm:

This was an amazing piece about your teacher! If someone wrote something this great about me, i'd cry! Your amazing!

fallingtopieces said...
May 22, 2012 at 5:24 pm:
Thanks so much :)

Emily A. said...
May 11, 2012 at 8:55 pm:
Hope you win! Good luck!

Emily A. said...
May 11, 2012 at 8:53 pm:
Love it so much. Really want to meet her!

102Eanders said...
May 11, 2012 at 8:37 pm:
I really want to meet her now!

Nonfictionluvr said...
May 6, 2012 at 10:06 am:
Really amazing. I hope you win!

Karlyjohnson said...
May 3, 2012 at 6:18 pm:
That was amazing! I really want to meet her now!