The Story Of A Role Model: Heather Savard | Teen Ink

The Story Of A Role Model: Heather Savard

By KimmieLovesYou BRONZE, Freehold, New Jersey
KimmieLovesYou BRONZE, Freehold, New Jersey

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."
-Harvey Fierstein

Have you ever had those days? The ones where you don't want to get out of bed? When you throw on a pair of sweats and a sweatshirt, not caring how you look or how others see you? When you just don't want to do it anymore? Imagine waking up every day with that feeling, that gut wrenching pain. Well, hello. I'm Kim and I went through all of this last year, my seventh grade year. But when I met the woman who showed me how I wanted to live my life, I slowly began to change.
I had always loved to write. It was more then just a hobby. It was a passion that seemed to be the only thing that I still was willing to put power and energy into. Because, when you write, you get to write the story, draw the lines, and speak your mind. You can't do that with math or science, now can you? But when I really became truly inspired to write, was in seventh grade, when I met my role model. The woman who believed as I did in the aspects of life, and was someone I could actually trust.
But, one day in "The Purple Palace" sticks out in my mind. The purple palace was what she called the classroom, with it's purple walls. I still remember this day perfectly, and it's time I tell you. I sat at my desk working on my essay on Clinical Depression. An odd topic for a child to write about. But she DID say to pick something personal. And could things get more personal? She walked over to me and asked me what my topic was going to be. I felt my cheeks get red. I hadn't planned on anyone actually READING my essay. Even the person grading it. How foolish oh me! I averted my eyes and pushed my paper twords her on the desk. She skimmed it with her eyes and I felt her gaze come up to me. She began to tell me she could tell it was a personal topic to me. "Obviously" I thought as I just nodded my head. She began to talk to me, as if she didn't see me as any less of an equal for my problems, and I felt tears spring to my eyes. She allowed me to mumble something but being excused and she nodded. I left and calmed myself, washed my face, and return to class. She didn't mention it again, but she always seemed to give off a vibe that she was always there when I needed her. She didn't have to say it. I understood. As I sat back down at my desk I looked up at the board, where the words "No day but today" were written as our homework assignment, as they were on most Fridays. Rent is my favorite movie and ever since meeting Heather Savard, I always sing along when the movie sings, No Day But Today.

This is the story of when I began to learn to trust people again, you would think this would be anyone but a teacher that I would share this time with, but yes.