Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By fofanidani PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
fofanidani PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

I loved the feeling of the metal bat between my hands, and the dirt my cleats walked on. My softball coach isn’t only my coach, but he is also my loving and caring dad. My dad made the game of softball my new reason and purpose. The reason wasn’t to win every single game, but to teach us how to play and have a good time.
My dad’s favorite thing about coaching softball is turning the ugly duckling into a swan. He loves coaching girls who may not be the greatest, but he loves seeing them improving. This is the main reason he comes back every year to coach girls softball. He loves to work with kids. But he has not only shown me dedication in softball, but he’s also shown it to me at church.
For a number of years, our family has been dedicated in the kindergarten through first grade ministry at our church. My dad wrote skits to perform for the kids. He wanted kids to know the Lord. He made it entertaining so the students could laugh and enjoy themselves, but also learn about the Bible at the same time. The way he wrote it, it could appeal to someone of any age.
When my dad isn’t working or coaching softball, he is a goof ball. There are times where he acts like a big kid. I love that about him. He is fun to be around. He makes me laugh.
My dad not only has a good sense of humor, but he is also outgoing. He goes out of his way to talk to people. If he is at a party and doesn’t know anyone, leaving the party, he will know five people.
When we go on vacations, he always tries to teach us something. He says, “You don’t just learn things in school.” I think it’s awesome. I love my dad. He is an amazing man. He is fun to be around. I am nominating my dad for Educator of the year. If you knew him you would agree with me.