Life in Music | Teen Ink

Life in Music

By BenWar GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
BenWar GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

There are some people in this world that make huge impacts and can influence you to change your path for the future. Jacob Polancich is an inspiring band director who influenced me to continue pursuing music. Mr. P is the most dedicated and patient person I have ever met. Because of his work, Arrowhead High School’s music program has grown in numbers and in skill.
On the way school, I cannot wait for music to start. I wait until seventh period for this chance. Seventh period is music theory. Mr. Polancich blends teaching both advanced and basic theory concepts with creating our own compositions with Finale software at school.
During other periods, he creates a peasant, patient atmosphere. For example, in band class, someone might miss a note or the tuning of the pitch is off. But, he wouldn’t get frustrated; instead, he’d ask them to write a reminder in the music. Then, he would start the piece again and the problem would be fixed.
This year, Wind Ensemble took a major leap forward and commissioned Michael Markowski’s, Instinctive Travels. This piece was defiantly a ride. Some students described it by saying, “It was like a roller coaster,” or “Holy crap.” This was a tough, level five piece for a high school to perform. Under the direction from Mr. P, we were encouraged us to study our parts with care.
Mr. P is helpful resource for any question I, or any student, may have. I strongly recommend him for Teacher of the Month. He listens. He cares. He loves to be with people…