Teacher of the Year | Teen Ink

Teacher of the Year

By Michael Dorau BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Michael Dorau BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

It’s hard to find someone who cares about their job and students more than their salary. Mr. Kostka, who has been my woods teacher for the past two years, has not only shown me how to make a great woods project, but also how to be a good person.

Everyday I am greeted by the same smiley bearded man as I walk into class. His attitude and charisma to help others truly amazes me. You never leave his class angry or don’t enjoy yourself while you’re there. Mr. Kostka is one of the most likeable and easy to talk to teachers that I have ever met. He can spark a conversation out of anything. I have never known a teacher who is easier going than Mr. Kostka, but still has control over their class like he does because people respect him.

When I talk to Mr. Kostka I don’t perceive him as my teacher as much as I do my friend. He shares stories with me about pervious job sites and projects that he’s worked on which I find interesting because I would like to go into construction someday. He also has tells me funny stories about when he was in high school and college, what’s going on with sports/ and what’s new. I you ever want someone to talk to, or just hang out, the woods room is the place to be.

If you think you can make a project in woods class, Mr. Kostka will make it possible. He is willing to help you anytime of the day, and puts all of his effort into helping make your project the best it can be. He even lets you come in during free periods and after school if you talk to him.
I think that Mr. Kostka is the best at what he does. From brining a smile to a kids face to making a woods project. If there was any way to describe him it would be: Kind - Outgoing- Smiley- Talkative- Knowledgeable- Awesome- K-O-S-T-K-A