My Favorite Teacher | Teen Ink

My Favorite Teacher

April 30, 2009
By kiwipuppyluv GOLD, Rochester Hills, Michigan
kiwipuppyluv GOLD, Rochester Hills, Michigan
11 articles 0 photos 3 comments

My teacher is amazing. Not only is she my English teacher, but she's also my Math, Chemistry, Art, Music and Literature teacher. She's the cook, bus driver and head cheerleader. My teacher is my mom.

My mom homeschools me now (tenth grade) and has homeschooled me since fourth grade. We decided we needed a change from public school. She also homeschools both of my younger siblings.

My mom has made it possible for me to have countless learning opportunities like veterinary workshops, sports teams, Chemistry groups, Art clubs and much more. She takes me everywhere, no matter how completely out of her way it is, so that I can pursue me favorite things, even if it's just to hang out with my friends.

She volunteers at our church, in the contemporary praise band. Her keyboard and flute playing are amazing, not to mention her voice that inspires everyone. My mom supports friends and family, and is compassionate towards everyone and everything. Any time I see an animal in need, she is right there to help me take care of it, with assurances that we could take it home if necessary. We have, as a family, raised 6 litters of puppies for Leader Dogs for the Blind. We signed up for a breeding mom dog, and my mom never complained about getting up at all hours to make sure the puppies were well fed and happy. She never gives up and has taught my whole family to follow through with everything we do.

My mom has a love for writing and art that she has shared with me over the years. She has given me hundreds of books to help inspire my writing, but she has never pushed me to change who I am. Her paintings hang in our house and she always wants to hang my art up too. She feels that I should learn in a way that is easiest for me, and makes sense to me. She has gone through so many math books, looking for the right one for me. She works late into the night to help me understand something, and her patience never ceases to amaze me. I go to her for advice and help with anything.

My teacher is unique because she is not only my favorite educator, she's also my mother!

The author's comments:
My mom has always been there for me as an educator, parent and best friend. I wrote this as a surprise for her.