The Librarian

A typical middle school day is hectic and challenging, and sometimes when the challenge becomes too much to handle, I and my friends, come to the library for respite. The library here is cozy, and a friendly, welcoming place, made more so by the presence of the librarian, Mrs. Gore.

Mrs. Gore took us under her wing as frightened sixth graders, and watched us grow. I met her in the first week of middle school, when I came to check out a book twenty minutes before class started. She greeted me and my sister with a smile and introduced herself. And when I came back every day after that, she noticed that I liked fantasy genres and recommended dozens of books to me; she made reading fun for me for the first time ever. Later that year with my newfound knowledge of books, she asked if I would take place in the annual “name that book” competition. I did, and though we narrowly lost, it was hilarious to watch twenty of us fight for the buzzer; reading is cool again because of her.

As much fun as she has with us, her regular “book club” that is in the library every morning, she always has time for all of the classes that come in, special education included. She helps them find a book that they can not only read, they like it too. It is rare that you can find a teacher to befriend, but it seems we all love Mrs. Gore, parents, children, fellow staff included.

As a seventh grader, I was counting on my final year with Mrs. Gore being next year, 180 more days away from leaving behind one of the best teachers in the country. Alas, it was not to be. Mrs. Gore is retiring at the end of this 2008-2009 school year, 28 days away. Not only I, but the rest of the student body will miss her. No one can replace such a warm person in the hearts of the students.

Mrs. Necessary said...
Feb. 22, 2010 at 6:50 am
I miss her too! Great article!

TheWriterInMe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:28 am
What a beautiful article, Megan!