Mrs. Carnell | Teen Ink

Mrs. Carnell

By 4evans SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
4evans SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

Writing was always a struggle for me. As someone has been told their writing style is “Not liked by others” or “Lacks clarity, needs to stick to an academic design," staying focused on the page felt like an insurmountable task. To make matters worse, my past teachers had never hesitated to criticize my writing style, leaving me feeling disheartened and defeated: shallowing me in a pile of self-doubt. But everything shifted when Mrs. Carnell sat by my side as I began to learn the art, creating the most important piece of my life—my college essay.

I still remember the first day of her class two years ago, how she greeted us with a warm smile and an air of genuine enthusiasm. My composition class was a mix of Juniors and Seniors who mostly enrolled to achieve one more English credit to graduate, and held very little interest in what the class offered. I was one of those students. Mrs. Carnell directed us all to stand up and walk to 3 different corners of the room depending on our answer to her question:” Corner one means you hate writing, corner two means you don’t know, corner three means you love to write”. I didn’t hesitate, I swiftly arrived at my answer… corner one.

Unlike my previous teachers, she didn't seem put off by students who didn’t express interest in the material. Rather, I began to notice how she challenged herself to incorporate students like myself into the class more and more each day. Others saw only shortcomings, I saw failure within myself, but she believed in potential.

"Today I ask, why do we write?" she questioned, her eyes alight with passion. "Remember, this is a safe space and there are no wrong answers.” No wrong answers. Her words sealed the wounds spread across my handwriting, repairing my cracked foundation. The way she cared for students as a mother cheering on her child in a race was inspiring, leading me to enroll in her Advanced Composition class the following year. 

With college submission creeping up on me like a shadow lurking in my school email that reappeared with every refresh—I was horrified to begin my college essay. I spent more than thirty hours over the summer staring at my computer screen, typing furiously, and deleting the entire text with one single click. So much progress to just end up back to where I started: a race with no finish line. 

At first, I was convinced that this was impossible, my insecurities threatening to hold me back, and those discouraging words sliced their way back into my heart. I was defeated until Mrs. Carnell made me emotional with her support, offering delicate guidance and reassurance. She reminded me, “Writing isn’t linear, embrace your strengths.” And so, I did. With each assignment, I pushed myself to think outside the box, to explore new ideas and perspectives. Slowly but surely, something remarkable began to happen. Once a source of frustration and uncertainty, writing became a source of escape and self-expression. 

The deadline was approaching for my college essay. Anxiety surrounding college dance auditions, tests, interviews, graduation plans, and all of those life-changing moments that seemed to be moving too fast turned into slow pockets of peace when I think of Mrs. Carnell’s lessons. She continues to open new doors, help me embrace all of my opportunities, and help me realize what it means to be an individual who's okay to live in the moment even when time is moving too fast. 

Now, I’m a student who has been accepted into all of her top schools, has a published college essay in multiple writing contests, and has a newfound love for writing—all thanks to Mrs. Carnell. Writing was always a struggle for me until I met Mrs. Carnell. Today, I’m someone who holds her encouraging words close to my heart and a human who is inspired to spread the beautiful impact writing has on the soul. Staying focused on the page is a new passion of mine and if Mrs. Carnell asked me what corner I would choose today, I wouldn’t hesitate, I already know my answer… corner three.