New Year Resolutions - The unseen truth | Teen Ink

New Year Resolutions - The unseen truth

Every year, the majority of people spend time thinking about what they want to improve in their lives this new year. Some ideas people come up with usually have to do with health like cutting out sugar or trying to go to the gym. Others think of things they want to start engaging in like reading or classes. The idea behind these resolutions is that it is a clean slate with a huge opportunity to make immense changes to their lives. People seem to expect that a drastic change will occur, ultimately making a huge difference in their lifestyle. They think that the support of the new year will be enough to push themselves to be able to follow this ultimate goal. But I guarantee you that if everybody is honest with themselves about their new year's resolutions, they have more than likely failed.

The consistent failure of these goals is no coincidence. Yes, some people do achieve these, but it is usually because they plan accordingly and accurately. People who simply say they are going to do something that they don’t do whatsoever like go to the gym or cut out sweets, rarely achieve this goal in the long run. According to the site Gitnux, “Various statistics reveal that around 50% of Americans set New Year’s resolutions, with a mere 8% keeping them. The top resolution for 2021 was more exercise (50%), followed by healthier eating (47%) and saving money (32%). Regrettably, 80% of resolutions crumble by February, and only 64.6% endure past the first month” (Castillo, conclusion). In simpler terms, a slim amount of people are holding out for a month leaving even fewer achieving their goal. There could be many reasons as to why they fail but the majority of them has to do with the change itself. For some people, they are thinking way too big. Some people assume that they can all of a sudden get up every single day and spend a certain amount of time giving something their undivided attention when last week they did not do it once. This can cause a person to realize the difficulty of completing their goal and will most likely give it up. Other people can miss the understanding of what that change brings to them. What I mean by that is people could start something like a book and not understand what the point of finishing it is. They can become unentitled to the objective because they do not see any benefit of its completion. Some other possibilities of failure are your not in a time of change, lack of discipline and even that the task is impossible. Any doubt of the task can lead to people to try and cheat around it or push for a reason to leave the goal incomplete.

Despite what you may hear, there are ways to make your resolutions possible and suitable for you. The major thing of a resolution is the basis of it. Make sure that the resolution is something that is not completely brand new to you. If it is, really think about if it is possible to start doing it all of a sudden. This includes your time slots, lifestyle, and even environment. Another major thought that you should keep in mind is the commitment that the task brings. It is quite difficult to instantly switch to doing something on the regular like read x amount of books or workout x amount of days. Instead you should build your way up. Some examples of this could be starting with only going 1 day a week to the gym or reading a smaller amount of books in your time slot. Then once it becomes easier to do, you can increase your workload. It is very difficult to stay consistent with something if you have little to no interest in it. Some things you can make easier or compromise with to make it more enjoyable. For example, make things like saving money for a game, or track your gym activity with an app that gives you achievements at different milestones. Basically, in order to find the right New Year's resolutions, you should find something that you enjoy or can put up with, and start with a manageable commitment that you can adjust as you go, ensuring little to no possibility of failure. No one is forcing you to complete these goals, nor are they anyone else's, so go at your own pace and level.