Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

My AVID teacher is one of the most dedicated teachers I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Some students may complain that she is too strict with us, that she has these unattainable expectations for us, that she is an unlikeable teacher. I disagree. I believe she can be demanding at times, but these expectations don’t come from a place of malicious intent.  Her expectations are a reflection of her true perception of her students. She thinks of us as distinguished academics who are intelligent and determined. She thinks that we are all capable of excellence. 

This is why I believe her to be one of the most amazing educators. My teacher is constantly pushing us to apply for scholarships, to apply to colleges that offer opportunities, and discuss aspects of our future. She does all these things and more to prepare her students so that once we are shifting from childhood to adulthood, we are not lost and helpless. Her efforts have not gone unnoticed by me. I have never met a teacher who was so persistent in ensuring she could do everything in her power to assist in the development of youths. 

Her concerns for our academic success go further than just making sure we graduate. My teacher does want us to live successfully, but she also wants us to be happy, content, and at peace. However, she knows we can be unmotivated, discouraged, and intimidated by life. This is why she lets her students know we can always talk to her about anything. Whether that is something typical like assignments, something minuscule such as our weekend plans, or even something personal like a loved one’s passing, her ears are all open for listening. This is why I see her as compassionate and loving too. My teacher isn’t a typical teacher who thinks of her position in students’ lives as just an educator, she knows she will have an impact on us. And because of this acknowledgment, my teacher has made it her job to be a guide to us. She is probably all of her students’ number-one supporter.

I wanted to participate in this contest because I believe my AVID teacher deserves to be labeled the appreciative title of "Educator of the Year." I hope that students everywhere can think of at least one educator - or someone who has taught them something - because everyone deserves to have somebody to guide them.