Mr. Corry | Teen Ink

Mr. Corry

February 15, 2023
By Anonymous

Mr. Corry

By Will Duimstra

Grade 12


In most high schoolers’ minds, Physics is an incredibly boring and dull subject. It’s the class you don’t want to go to. If you skipped school because of a class, it would probably be Physics. I wasn’t that negative going into my sophomore Physics class, because I knew I would be capable of doing everything I needed to. I just knew I would find the class boring and not very engaging at all.

But that’s where I was wrong. In reality, AP Physics 1 with Mr. Corry was one of the most engaging classes I’ve had here at Arrowhead Union High School. It all started with the first day of the class. I found the first assignments that he gave us difficult for some reason, even though they were supposed to be review. I didn’t really think much of that at the time, except that the class would be very hard. As it went on, I found that the class was indeed very hard. Except Mr. Corry was able to make a rather dull topic always interesting. He would always talk to us about something completely unrelated to class (Taylor Swift, almost always), then he would decide that it was time to actually start class. Then he would show us a difficult concept that we would have to try on the homework. When I (quite often) wouldn’t really get it right away, he would always walk me through the assignment from the night before to make sure I understood. 

Everyone who had him knew that the best part of his class was the students trying to make him talk as much as possible about Taylor Swift instead of whatever he was trying to teach. I think some days he would just take it easy and let us have our fun with him. Really, I think the best part of that class was the way he was able to make it engaging and fun to be at, while still providing a big challenge and teaching us the concepts better than we needed to know them so we could easily pass the AP test. I always would walk out of the quizzes and tests thinking about how hard they were, but I still always wanted to show up to class every day. I never thought something like physics would ever be interesting but Mr. Corry changed that.