My Teachers | Teen Ink

My Teachers

By AHSGG20 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
AHSGG20 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

"Work until your Idols become your rivals."

Erica Savary and Eric Griedl

I have known these two people for nine years. I believe they are the reason I am who I am today. They have become my second parents, and the barn has become my second home.

My passion of horses began when I was four or five. My sister took lessons at a stable called Knollwood Farm. I enjoyed going there and watching her ride; I also enjoyed playing with the barn cats. What started as my sister’s passion, would soon become my greatest joy.

After a few months of my sister riding, my mother caught word of another barn in town, that was closer to home. My mom decided to move my sister to this barn. The woman there introduced herself as Erica Savary, a young horsewoman from Massachusetts, and more recently, North Carolina.

Erica is someone who I liked, her eyes soft and her hair done. She was funny and sweet, allowing me to say whatever came to my little six-year-old mind. I was always curious, but she helped me continue my passion for horses, even though my mom wasn't allowing me to ride until I was seven.

Fifteen years later, my passion had grown. Erica's husband Eric came from Knollwood to work for Pepper Hill farm (Erica’s well-established farm) for a few years. I’ve always liked Eric, he is humerus and kind. I had a year with my second horse named Make A Selection and I struggled with my anxiety. My main issue was hitting the show ring and freezing. It took me until the 2017 World Championship Horse Show in Louisville, Kentucky, to figure out how to ride, and have a good time while doing it.

This was my first experience at WCHS in 2017, it was amazing. After the long drive to Kentucky, and lots of sleep, I was ready to show. It was the Senior Equitation world championship, and I didn't stand a Chance.

We drove to the barns and I put my riding tux, formalwear, and top hat on. Before I knew it, my horse was ready, and I was in the warm up ring. My nerves were indescribable. Kindly, I was reassured by Erica and Eric, that all I needed to do was ride my “Walk trot” horse, and remember to breathe.

The gates swing open and we all filed in down the ramp and into the show ring. I felt the cold air hit my face and my horse sink down, his ears pinned forward. I couldn't help but Laugh I rode with the best of my ability, holding my position still, but as fluid as I could. My heart raced and I could hear Eric and Erica both yelling, telling me to work my ring and fix my position.

I listened to instruction from E&E from outside the ring and knew that they helped me to do everything correctly. I couldn't help but smile and laugh my entire ride. As Eric was instructing me, I turned to him while riding and said “This is the most fun i've ever had!” and truly, I meant it.  My horse had the slowest canter of our showing career. As the Ringmaster called for everyone in the class to line up, I proudly trotted to my place and waited to be judged. Around five minutes passed and they announced who was in the pattern. My number was not called, but I didn't care.. My horse had been an angel, and I patted my horse to let him know. I laughed as we trotted up the ramp and out of the ring.

After the hours of training, and working, all of my stress vanished and I couldn't wait to say thank you to both Erica and Eric, because without them, I wouldn't be anywhere close to where I am today. I Believe that Both Erica and Eric Deserve the Educator of the year award because, I believe they have positively impacted kids lifes, and I would like them to understand their powerful effect on mine.