Actor - Kristen Stewart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

At 16, Kristen Stewart is not afraid of intense roles, including Jodie Foster's daughter in “Panic Room,” the protagonist in “Speak,” and a troubled teen in “The Messengers.” This month, “In the Land of Women” opens with Kristen playing a teen dealing with high school, peer pressure, and a difficult relationship with her mother. The film also stars Meg Ryan and Adam Brody.

In “In the Land of Women,” you are a painter, but what are your real-life hobbies?

I read a lot of books, and I'm a writer. That's what I'm mainly into. I just love putting the words together. I'm really in love with words. I play guitar; I love going to shows. I'm kind of a homebody.

What is your favorite book?

I actually have two. I just finished Cannery Row by John Steinbeck, which was really intense. The other is The Stranger by Albert Camus, that was heavy.

You've worked with Jodie Foster and now Meg Ryan. How were those experiences?

So different. I was little when I worked with Jodie, so I wasn't taking notes. Just being around someone like that for months when you're so young and such a sponge ... she probably affected the way I work.

Jodie doesn't take things too seriously, she just acts. I mean, of course, she thinks about it, but Meg takes things very seriously - in the best way. You can tell she really cares about her work a lot, and that's really important.

In terms of acting styles, was it very different working with Meg, Adam and Makenzie Vega?

They were all so different. Working with Adam and Makenzie was a lot of fun, but my scenes with Meg were intense. There was a lot of tension between us, a lot of distance. I liked working with her; I felt we were both very satisfied with what came out. After a scene with Meg it was like, “Oh, we nailed it.”

What is your relationship with your mother like? Will your new movie help mothers and daughters better understand each other?

I'm really lucky, because I have a picture-perfect relationship with my parents. But I definitely see my friends in Lucy and her mom's relationship, I feel like that dynamic is very typical. This movie will open people's eyes.

How do you choose roles?

It's always different. The movies I've been interested in have been because of the prospect of working with the filmmaker and a certain director. Sometimes I'll do a movie because there are one or two scenes I really want to do, something that's different. I think it's important to do movies that are worth watching, something that makes you think.

If you weren't acting, what would you do?

I would want to write screenplays. But, if I had to have a practical job, if acting fell through, I couldn't imagine working anywhere but on a movie set. I would want to work in props or the art department.

What advice would you give others interested in acting?

If there is anything you really want to do, you have to give it a shot. Otherwise you're going to hold onto it forever and just regret it. You should have no regret.

People always ask actors for advice and it's like wow, you're asking us? I don't know how enlightening we can be. We're just people.

unidentifiedflyingplane This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 27, 2010 at 10:27 am
i didn't like her in Twilight. Frankly, I don't like twilight. but, she was really good in the movie "In The Land of Women"
i didn't know she liked to write either.

SmileSmileyy:) replied...
Edward isn't stalkerish.:x :x He's.....protective. I guess. Andd twilightt is thee best!! <3<3

mirrorsandmirages replied...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 12:11 am
@unidentifiedflyingplane - same situation going on here. i was the biggest fan of twilight for about a month, and then i was like, "this is actually pretty stupid." i don't know. not a hater but it's totally overrated.

allie.vgr1994 replied...
Mar. 12, 2010 at 11:33 am
I agree with SmileSmileyy:) that edward isn't stakerish he just loves bella and doesn't want her to get hurt by other vampires including his family and himself....i love this series and it's one of my favorite's ever!!!!!!!!!!!! My library needs to open back up so I can read the last Medatior book...i really want to read it!!!!!!!!! Back to the subject I really think that Kristen Stewart is like almost da bomb man!!! I mean come on how can you not like twilight or any of Step... (more »)

TheNovaClytie replied...
IKR! That's soo cool! Writing is awesome!

jordan<3 said...
Kirsten Stewart is cool.:D

Emmalee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 13, 2010 at 7:56 am
Kristen Stewart. Ew.

blairbear said...
Kristen Stewart is my role-model

acousticalex This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Back in the good old days!

Emely J. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
AMAZING! I love Kristen Stewart!!

sillyaardvarkabc said...
Although I'm not a big fan of Kristen Stewart, this was a really great article! I had no idea that she was in Speak. I loved that book (but I'm kinda afraid to see the movie).

Jillian H. replied...
Jan. 23, 2010 at 2:15 am
The movie wasn't scary at all, actually. (Oh, and by the way, I am a total baby. I hate horror, sci-fi, anything like that).

RiaLovesYOU This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The Fresh Prince of Bellair and I am Legend are two totally different instances with two totally different characters. Just because one is more dramatic than the other doesn't make him a better or worse actor. Jeeez.

SloaneaminSticks<3 replied...
The ability of being able to go from one character to a totally different character is what makes a good actor a good actor. You could name lots of famous actors who are actually that good. Julia Roberts for instance, she has played the same character in almost everything, I'm not saying that she's a bad actor, but she's famous and hasn't proved that she is as good as Elizabeth Taylor who has a range of the daughter in Father of the Bride to Cleopatra.

I love Kristen Stewart. I disagree--- she always plays a different role, and very honestly. In Panic Room she did an amazing job--- i believed her fear and that she was about to die. In speak, she was absolutely stunning---she was raped ! And every second i was with her on the road. In the messengers she was in another disturbing situation, but she committed. It's unfair that people peg her as mega-money actress with no talent just because they don't want to jump on board with the Twi... (more »)

SloaneaminSticks<3 said...
Honestly, I don't like her acting. To me it just sounds like she's reciting lines instead of making what she's saying believable. I haven't seen any range in her acting either. The great actors, like Al Pacino, can change roles and really get into them, she is the same person in every movie I've seen. It's like the only reason she has been cast in things is either type-casting or because producers know they'll get a hit with a movie she's in since she'... (more »)

Dani E. replied...
Jan. 5, 2010 at 11:42 am
You're right on all your points, you stole the words right out of my mouth.

ZACISSOHOT5755626 said...
I LOVED TWLIGHT AND NEW MOON!!!!!!

ZACISHOT5755626 said...
SHE IS SO PRETTY

RiseofNewMoon said...
I agree. She is an amazing actress. She's greart for emotional roles that can be rather difficult.

Megan21192 said...
I have seen the first Twlight, and loved it. She is an amazing actress! I am hoping to see New Moon soon!