Actor - Kristen Stewart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

At 16, Kristen Stewart is not afraid of intense roles, including Jodie Foster's daughter in “Panic Room,” the protagonist in “Speak,” and a troubled teen in “The Messengers.” This month, “In the Land of Women” opens with Kristen playing a teen dealing with high school, peer pressure, and a difficult relationship with her mother. The film also stars Meg Ryan and Adam Brody.

In “In the Land of Women,” you are a painter, but what are your real-life hobbies?

I read a lot of books, and I'm a writer. That's what I'm mainly into. I just love putting the words together. I'm really in love with words. I play guitar; I love going to shows. I'm kind of a homebody.

What is your favorite book?

I actually have two. I just finished Cannery Row by John Steinbeck, which was really intense. The other is The Stranger by Albert Camus, that was heavy.

You've worked with Jodie Foster and now Meg Ryan. How were those experiences?

So different. I was little when I worked with Jodie, so I wasn't taking notes. Just being around someone like that for months when you're so young and such a sponge ... she probably affected the way I work.

Jodie doesn't take things too seriously, she just acts. I mean, of course, she thinks about it, but Meg takes things very seriously - in the best way. You can tell she really cares about her work a lot, and that's really important.

In terms of acting styles, was it very different working with Meg, Adam and Makenzie Vega?

They were all so different. Working with Adam and Makenzie was a lot of fun, but my scenes with Meg were intense. There was a lot of tension between us, a lot of distance. I liked working with her; I felt we were both very satisfied with what came out. After a scene with Meg it was like, “Oh, we nailed it.”

What is your relationship with your mother like? Will your new movie help mothers and daughters better understand each other?

I'm really lucky, because I have a picture-perfect relationship with my parents. But I definitely see my friends in Lucy and her mom's relationship, I feel like that dynamic is very typical. This movie will open people's eyes.

How do you choose roles?

It's always different. The movies I've been interested in have been because of the prospect of working with the filmmaker and a certain director. Sometimes I'll do a movie because there are one or two scenes I really want to do, something that's different. I think it's important to do movies that are worth watching, something that makes you think.

If you weren't acting, what would you do?

I would want to write screenplays. But, if I had to have a practical job, if acting fell through, I couldn't imagine working anywhere but on a movie set. I would want to work in props or the art department.

What advice would you give others interested in acting?

If there is anything you really want to do, you have to give it a shot. Otherwise you're going to hold onto it forever and just regret it. You should have no regret.

People always ask actors for advice and it's like wow, you're asking us? I don't know how enlightening we can be. We're just people.

haterswillbehaters said...
i find it interesting how you play a dramatic role at 16 wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your not good in twilight ha

TheNovaClytie replied...
Nov. 10, 2010 at 12:55 pm :
I wish teenink had a 'Like' button. This is the kind of comment i would 'Like'.

twilight-luver11 said...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 2:29 am:
I actually love her in twilight but i think the plot in adventure land(nothing to do with her acting. Plus this artical has nothing to do with either. I enjoyed the interveiw. It gives us a veiw of how she see's the world. She is real and isn't 100% self absorbed like some actors and actoresses.

therunnerintherye said...
Honestly, I don't believe that Stewart is a good actress. She nailed it in Speak, but only because Melinda is so depressed and quiet. I really want to see one movie where she doesn't act as if she's dead, which is how she's been typecasted. Good actors have the ability to, if needed, be perfect even if they have a completely different role ever time.

BlackHoleHighAlumni This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 24, 2010 at 1:56 pm :
Did you see "Zathura"? She was really good in that too!

TheNovaClytie replied...
Nov. 10, 2010 at 12:56 pm :
Wait, that was HER in Zathura?? Really? She was great in that?? What happened?!

Nov. 10, 2010 at 2:53 pm :
IDK...I was fine with her in Twilight...I don't care for the movie, but I thought she acted fine in it...but she was really good in Zathura, Speak and Panic Room. I really love her as an actress. At least in her early stuff. The Runaways and stuff have kinda made me lose my respect for her, but she was still a great actress early on.

nutmeg123 replied...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 4:36 pm :
hold on! they made a movie out of SPEAK?!?!?!?!? i LOVED that book! And KRISTEN STEWART played MELINDA?!?!?!?!??!??? wow. kinda shocking, but once it sinks in, thats, like, PERFECT casting Kristen was probably something like Melinda when she was in high school; insecure, slightly artistic, a little emo... 

Nov. 25, 2010 at 4:41 pm :
They play it on Lifetime all the time. I wrote a review for it and interviewed Laurie Halse Anderson (the author) if you'd like to check it out! :) Speak the movie was REALLY good! It was amazing!

nutmeg123 replied...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 4:43 pm :
the interview really opened my eyes to the fact that actors are people, too. I mean, she is actually kinda similar to me: she has several favorite books and likes to write! wow. i dindnt actually hate Twilight, but i never read the book (i am ashamed to say). Robert Pattinson was WAAAAAY better in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, but Taylor Lautner sucked in Sharkboy and Lavagirl. Of course, Taylor was also the only GOOD actor in the whole Twilight series/saga (whichever you prefer), i mean ... (more »)

nutmeg123 replied...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 6:19 pm :
cool! i'll have to see it sometime...

alexandrexis replied...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 9:29 pm :

Alice and Jasper are really the only characters I actually like.

Mayyybe also Esme and um.....the dad....forgetting his name xD But they were a little boring. Jasper has his flaws, duh, but I like that. Everyone else is almost TOO good at controlling themselves. And it's Alice and Jasper that really tie the story together.......

nutmeg123 replied...
Jan. 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm :
yeah same here...alice and jasper were totally the only good characters

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 29, 2011 at 4:43 pm :
Alice is like my role model I think that Jasper is kinda' cute.  But Bella.......... I wanna' slap her half the time.  It's like god... I feel so sorry for you that you got a super awesome car and a CUSTOM-MADE dress..... How will you manage????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dragonscribe replied...
Jun. 1, 2011 at 12:45 pm :
Ug, I hated Zathura! It's UBER cheesy and a total rip-off of Gimongi (with Robin Williams) and though that's also cheesy, at least story is interesting.

dramakat said...
This was a really good article.  I think she's a great actress, very real.  Also, stop posting all these Twilight hate comments, this article has nothing to do with twilight, and you're causing all this drama over something that was never even mentioned.  Keep your opinions to yourself on this one!

meee said...
Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:35 am:
She is good in twilight,too. I think breaking dawn will be the best. ;)

nutmeg123 replied...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 4:58 pm :
yeah i bet. you know the had to find a different actor for like every shot of Renesme the weirdo vampire-human kid Bella and Edward have. How is she even attracted to Edward when she can have JACOB?!?!?! i mean, seriously. Pasty-face guy with weird hair that always looks like someones holding a gun to his head or something...OR... super-tan, nice, super-hot werewolf  who loves her!

WriterGirl33 said...
Jul. 22, 2010 at 7:58 pm:
well I think that Kristen Stewart is a good actress, but I also think it is kinda ridiculous how people worship actresses. I am really into acting and hope to act in major films eventually, but these people who have never met the actor and yet scream I love you and try to give them their emal... that's is retarded... do you really think actors want to talk to fans who are just gonna praise them all day!!!... that's just my opinion.

nutmeg123 replied...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 4:45 pm :
i totally agree. why the heck would they care about some random crazed fan who would, like you said, praise them all day rather than talk to them like a normal person?