Actor - Kristen Stewart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

At 16, Kristen Stewart is not afraid of intense roles, including Jodie Foster's daughter in “Panic Room,” the protagonist in “Speak,” and a troubled teen in “The Messengers.” This month, “In the Land of Women” opens with Kristen playing a teen dealing with high school, peer pressure, and a difficult relationship with her mother. The film also stars Meg Ryan and Adam Brody.

In “In the Land of Women,” you are a painter, but what are your real-life hobbies?

I read a lot of books, and I'm a writer. That's what I'm mainly into. I just love putting the words together. I'm really in love with words. I play guitar; I love going to shows. I'm kind of a homebody.

What is your favorite book?

I actually have two. I just finished Cannery Row by John Steinbeck, which was really intense. The other is The Stranger by Albert Camus, that was heavy.

You've worked with Jodie Foster and now Meg Ryan. How were those experiences?

So different. I was little when I worked with Jodie, so I wasn't taking notes. Just being around someone like that for months when you're so young and such a sponge ... she probably affected the way I work.

Jodie doesn't take things too seriously, she just acts. I mean, of course, she thinks about it, but Meg takes things very seriously - in the best way. You can tell she really cares about her work a lot, and that's really important.

In terms of acting styles, was it very different working with Meg, Adam and Makenzie Vega?

They were all so different. Working with Adam and Makenzie was a lot of fun, but my scenes with Meg were intense. There was a lot of tension between us, a lot of distance. I liked working with her; I felt we were both very satisfied with what came out. After a scene with Meg it was like, “Oh, we nailed it.”

What is your relationship with your mother like? Will your new movie help mothers and daughters better understand each other?

I'm really lucky, because I have a picture-perfect relationship with my parents. But I definitely see my friends in Lucy and her mom's relationship, I feel like that dynamic is very typical. This movie will open people's eyes.

How do you choose roles?

It's always different. The movies I've been interested in have been because of the prospect of working with the filmmaker and a certain director. Sometimes I'll do a movie because there are one or two scenes I really want to do, something that's different. I think it's important to do movies that are worth watching, something that makes you think.

If you weren't acting, what would you do?

I would want to write screenplays. But, if I had to have a practical job, if acting fell through, I couldn't imagine working anywhere but on a movie set. I would want to work in props or the art department.

What advice would you give others interested in acting?

If there is anything you really want to do, you have to give it a shot. Otherwise you're going to hold onto it forever and just regret it. You should have no regret.

People always ask actors for advice and it's like wow, you're asking us? I don't know how enlightening we can be. We're just people.

Ehwaz11 said...
Feb. 5, 2011 at 8:42 am:
Yeah, I really respect Kristin Stewart. Even if I'm not a huge Twilight fan, I admire her attitude (no regrets, try hard, etc.) and how she thought it was strange everyone asks celebrities for advice.

SydneyB. said...
A lot of my freinds dont like her but I think she's all right. She did a really good job playin Bella. All though they could have chosen a better edward. Robbert pattison Has the Im- gonna-eat-you-look-on in like 90 percent of the movie. It gets to yea. Thats why Imma Jacob fan. He's not a cannible. =)

emoducks replied...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm :
I know this article was written before twilight came out and stuff, but I'm pretty sure they wanted Robert to do that.... just sayin....

rhymertapperdreamer said...
Yeah, seriously.  This article isn't even about Twilight, cuz it was written before Twilight even came out!  You say she is so terrible at the part, but she's a professional, so why don't you give her a break!?

Jessie-Mo replied...
Jan. 9, 2011 at 4:26 pm :
I completely agree with you

Naomi518 replied...
Oct. 5, 2011 at 9:53 pm :
...people say she's terrible at the par because she is. it's not totally her fault though Stephanie Meyers (however you spell it, I don't really care) wrote Bella as an extremely boring person with no personality whatsoever. However, as a "professional actress," KStew should have put some of herself into the part.

Naomi518 replied...
Oct. 5, 2011 at 9:53 pm :
part* oops, typing too fast

Layla replied...
Jul. 17, 2012 at 1:21 pm :
Her job isn't to put her own personality into a character - that defeats the purpose of acting. Her job is to portray the character honestly to the best of her ability.

Dragonscribe said...

yea...the Twilight books are okay, but the movies are terrible, and Kristen and Robert are really bad. They've been good in other movies, but in Twilight they stink. Kristen grunts to much, like "Edward, huh, I love you, huh" Like she had something stuck in her throat.

But then again, I'm not an actress and could never do what they're doing, so who am I to judge?

TheNovaClytie replied...
Nov. 10, 2010 at 12:52 pm :
I really disliked the movies too. At first I was all "OMG that was sooooo Perfect!" but after a while I learned to hate them. I had a nice, long facination with the books as well, but once I'd seen the movies for what they truely were, I also opened up my eyes to the fact that the books really aren't that great either. Now, I don't even get the craze over Twilight, except for the fact that Rob and Taylor take their shirts off.

AnneOnnimous replied...
Nov. 20, 2010 at 6:15 pm :
The thing is, they actually do a good job- at first I thought they were terrible and that Kristen Stewart sucked, and although i still don't particularly like her, she does act like Bella: whiny and annoying and terribly boring.

JoPepper replied...
May 29, 2011 at 4:35 pm :
Yay I'm not the only one who thinks Bella is a whiny, selfish, annoying, needy brat.  Yeah she is really boring I wish I knew what Edward sees in her.  (Nothing against Kristen Stewart!!!!) :P ;D

Dragonscribe said...
So I'm confused...are these real interviews? Like, did a teen ink member really interview this person and post it here or what?

BlackHoleHighAlumni This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 24, 2010 at 1:55 pm :
Yes, these are real interviews. If they weren't I'm sure the celebrity would be quick to point it out. I've interviewed several people and they are all real. You can find the links on their websites and stuff.

TheNovaClytie replied...
Nov. 10, 2010 at 12:53 pm :
How the heck do you get to interview these people? I want in!

Nov. 10, 2010 at 2:51 pm :
Well, I've only interviewed authors. You can find e-mails on their websites or contact them through their official Facebooks.

KrystalT replied...
Dec. 1, 2010 at 6:51 pm :
I'm amazed! Now I want to interview famous people. Jackson Rathbone in particular.(:

Dragonscribe replied...
Dec. 3, 2010 at 10:31 pm :
Who's Jackson Rathbone?

TheJust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 14, 2011 at 8:58 am :
He plays Jasper...

Swagger replied...
Apr. 6, 2011 at 2:56 pm :
Jackson does play his role well and he seems cool. I would like to interview Kellan. Who plays as Emit! =)