Musician, Trevor Hall | Teen Ink

Musician, Trevor Hall

By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

I was first introduced to the musician, Trevor Hall, about six months ago. My sister and her best friend had just found out that he and another of their favorite singers, Matisyahu, would be touring together. They preordered tickets to their concert in Orlando, and every few days a new status update would reveal "{insert number} days left until the Trevor Hall concert!"

I had never heard his music until one day when my sister was driving me somewhere. I'm always used to listening to a wide array of musical genres when I'm in the car with her; everything from bluegrass to hip-hop. This particular day, she was listening to a song which featured a guitar and a man singing about a lime tree. I instantly fell in love with it, but didn't realize that this was the Trevor Hall I had heard so much about.

Once I discovered who it was, I decided to e-mail his manager and ask if we could set up an interview.

It's spent four months in the works (as we had to work it in around his busy schedule), but it's finally here! I hope you enjoy as much as I have.

Rachel: How did you first become interested in music?

Trevor Hall: I first became interested in music through my dad. He had a big record collection and I remember as young boy, I would pick out records from his collection and play all types of music.

RH: How do you feel attending an arts school benefited your career?

TH: I think attending Idyllwild benefited my career because it was an international school so I was able to meet people from all over the world and learn how people from different cultures express themselves. I was introduced to a lot of different flavors and ways of doing things. It provided a lot of inspiration.

RH: Do you think that anyone hoping to enter the music business should study music in school?

TH: I don't think it's necessary. I think the best thing to do is jump right in and experience it firsthand.

RH: What has been your favorite song to write and record?

TH: My favorite song to write and record is probably “The Return” because it is an emotional song and it was nice to let that emotion out in the writing process. Recording it was also the first time I brought in a lot of different sounds, background singers, horns and reggae flavor.

RH: What is your favorite part of touring?

TH: Meeting so many different types of people all over the country and getting to know them. It is really rewarding and also fun.

RH: What is your favorite song on the new album?

TH: “Love Wouldn't Die”

RH: How has your sound changed, or matured, as opposed to your earlier albums?

TH: I think this album is a little more raw emotional and physically – letting it all out and trying to be more honest.

RH: Tell us about the writing process for of "Dr. Suess."

TH: I wrote “Dr. Seuss” with my producer Jimmy Messer. We wrote the music first and it was very fun musically so we needed fun lyrics to go with it. Jimmy had read Dr. Seuss to his kids that morning so that's where the idea started...”one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish…”

RH: Where was the album art shot?

TH: All the photos on the outside of the package were shot in Los Angeles, the photos on the inside are from my trip to India.

RH: Who do you count as your influences?

TH: Bob Marley [and] Bjork.

RH: What music are you listening to currently?

TH: I'm really into [the] Drake album – Thank Me Later. I've been listening to the whole young money roster: Drake, Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne

RH: What advice do you have for aspiring musicians?

TH: Play live as much as possible. Play anywhere and everywhere because it builds your stage presence and your confidence.

Click here to download the album