Are You Willing To Risk It All? | Teen Ink

Are You Willing To Risk It All?

By Bryce Hutson BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan
Bryce Hutson BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan

When I think about the future, I think about what I want to be, what I want to do, and what I don't want to do, like smoke and drink alcohol. Drugs and alcohol can cause so much harm to the body, inside and out. Smoking for instance, can cause heart attacks and strokes. It slows your blood flow, cutting off oxygen to your feet and your hands. Some smokers end up having their limbs amputated due to the cut flow of oxygen. There are so many varieties of cigarettes and drugs that sometimes you fall under peer pressure, and that is not a good thing. Even though your peers are deciding to ruin there lives and making there lungs blacker and blacker by the minute, you do not have to fall for it. I know I won't.
Men and woman who smoke are ten times more likely to develop lung cancer than the people who don't. Also, three out of four deaths due from heart disease are due to smoking. Smoking also causes weakened bones, gum disease, cancers of the blood, pregnancy problems, and many more consequences. When I read these facts, I knew there was no way I would want to smoke. I mean, why risk and ruin your life just to impress your friends or try it for the first time and get addicted? I have lost over five relatives due to lung cancer from smoking.
Now alcohol. Alcohol can cause so many different problems. For instance, people under the influence of alcohol while driving may take somebody else's innocent life due to their mistake. Alcohol also has the affects afterwards. Alcoholics have a very high suicide rate and studies show between 8% and 21% of alcoholics commit suicide. The physical health effects associated with alcohol consumption may include epilepsy, alcoholic dementia, heart disease, increased chance of cancer, nutritional deficiencies, and death from many sources. There are also as many as 25% of alcoholics presenting with severe psychiatric disturbances.
These are the reasons I will not do drugs and be under the influence of alcohol. I do not want to suffer from incurable diseases, or live only to be in my mid fifties because I was smoking to be cool. I know some people will try to talk you into it, but you can't fall under peer pressure. That is how you become addicted.

I know I won't risk my life and lose the ones I love, will you?

I chose to write this article because kids need to know the consequences of doing drugs and drinking alcohol.