Childhood | Teen Ink

Childhood MAG

By Anonymous

   Childhood is not about age. Childhood is about imagination, perspective and dreams. Childhood is the spark of wonder that keeps life a mystery to all of us. Everyone is supposed to grow up, but some of us never do, not really. We are all expected to grow older and color within the lines.

But those who can keep their childhood spark and those who dare to try new things, go to new places, and scribble without limits, they are the truly outstanding ones. Poets, artists, teachers, to inspire they all must capture the spark of hope and love. They care. They really do. No matter how unfeeling the world may seem, there will always be a child to cheer you up.

Childhood is not about age. Childhood is about endless enchantment. Childhood is about trying things for the first time. Childhood is about being content with the little things in life, like pots, and pans, and juice. And crayons.

Seeing a leaf, a pond, or a grasshopper and being amazed and excited, this is childhood. Wondering how the grasshopper jumps, and questioning why, and finding the truth, yes, this is childhood. Childhood is trying to cross the street alone and looking both ways for cars, or riding a bike for the very first time, and crashing, and falling, and trying again. Childhood is finding a reason to smile when everyone else is sad.

Childhood is not about age. Childhood is about making mistakes and learning to fix them. Childhood is meeting new friends. Childhood is dreaming up new games to play and building secret forts. Childhood is painting your wall green and purple and saying "It wasn't me." Childhood is telling a stranger about your cat who just got sick. Childhood is knowing that you are still young enough to hear Winnie-The-Pooh, or cut the edges off your peanut butter and jelly or strain the pulp out of your orange juice. Childhood is imagining you're a prince, or a queen or a horse, or a tree, when you and your friends have nothing to do.

Childhood is a laugh, a wink, a silly joke, a shining star, a wondering mind. And a box of crayons. c