Avebury | Teen Ink

Avebury MAG

By Anonymous

     During my trip to England I went to Avebury, a stone circle similar to Stonehenge but three times bigger and 24 miles north of its more well-known counterpart. Unlike Stonehenge, where you must stay 30 feet from the monument, you can walk around and actually touch the stones at Avebury that have been standing in their Neolithic arrangement for over 4,000 years.

I went to Avebury with my aunt and grandparents. We arrived late in the afternoon and stayed at an inn with a thatched roof and low ceilings. The inn-keeper told us we were staying in the most haunted room!

After getting cleaned up we went downstairs to the pub that specializes in pot pies for dinner. They also serve chicken, Guinea hen, beef, wild boar, venison, and highland game (venison, wood pigeon, pheasant, rabbit, etc.). I ordered a wild boar pot pie that was so good. After playing a few games of darts, we went outside in the dark and cold to walk among the stones.

There was a full moon with clear skies, and glittering frost covered the grass. It was an incredibly magical experience. We wandered around until our fingers grew numb, then returned to our room to sleep. I did not see any ghosts during the night.

The next morning I got up at dawn to walk around the stone circle with my aunt. There was still frost everywhere, even on the sheep that grazed among the stones. As far as I could see were rolling hills dotted with sheep. It was so quiet and peaceful, even slightly sleepy, as if time has passed the town by.

After exploring the circle, we ate breakfast with everyone else, then walked around the circle again with my grandparents. Then we poked around the little shops in Avebury. I bought some out-of-circulation British coins to add to my collection and even got an ancient Roman coin.

Avebury is the most magical spot on the planet. In all of England, Avebury is my favorite place.