A New Addition | Teen Ink

A New Addition MAG

By Anonymous

   Have you ever wanted something so badly that you would do anything to get it? Well, that was me. I pleaded, begged, even whined. It took three long and hard years to get what I wanted. But it was all worthwhile because I finally got my wish: a cute little dog named Dion.

My family and I met the breeder at a dog show. We drove four hours to her house where she showed us three puppies, two males and one female. They all were Pembroke Welsh Corgis and were adorable with little legs, a long, hot dog-shaped body and a head that looked too big for its body. It took me a long time to figure out which one I wanted, but I finally decided when the female came up and licked my face. A few weeks later, my parents picked up Dion while I was at camp. When I got home that day, I was probably the happiest kid in the entire world.

It took a while for Dion to get used to our home. Every night, she cried in a way that made me burst into tears. She whined practically every second of the day. Sometimes, she got so upset she urinated in her crate. Dion was very difficult at first and didn't listen to our commands. It was almost like she was in her own little world and tuned us out. After a couple of weeks, she got used to us. That's when we began to train her.

My mother and I took Dion to puppy kindergarten. It was funny to see all the dogs that were so disobedient. They all barked, making me lose my hearing. The only one who didn't bark was Dion. She was very shy and hid from people. But she was very friendly with the other dogs. At first, I tried to teach her things like sit, down and stay. Now, I am teaching her to fetch and walk down the stairs. The trainer says that she is doing very well for a four-month-old puppy. It is a lot easier to train her at my house than when she is excited at school.

If you are thinking about getting a dog, consider all the time and effort you must put in. There are a lot of responsibilities. I walk Dion four to six times a day. I feed her, spend time with her and watch her when she is out of her crate. Even if my favorite show is on, or a good part in a movie is coming up, I still have to take care of her. It is a lot of work to keep her clean. Sometimes, I brush her and get hair all over me. In my opinion, it is all worth it.

I have benefited in many ways from having Dion around. For one thing, she provides constant love. She is always there to lick me, lay on me and comfort me. I always have someone to keep me company. I enjoy petting her. Dion is always there to talk to. Even though she doesn't talk back, I think she can tell when I am happy, sad, angry, confused or troubled.

Dion is a big responsibility but she is the most comforting friend who is always there. Dion not only is my dog, she also is a friend and companion.