First Job | Teen Ink

First Job MAG

February 24, 2009
By Dawson Cogar BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Dawson Cogar BRONZE, Auburn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

One of the most influential periods in a teenager’s life is getting his or her first job. It can teach you many lessons that you otherwise wouldn’t have learned, including how to work with others, take pride in your achievements, act professionally with customers, and value the ever-shrinking American dollar.

I have only just begun working at a pizza shop downtown. I figured pizza would be easy – and what better food to be associ­ated with than my favorite? Like most, the pizza business has its unique requirements. First and foremost, we wash our hands after doing everything. When I say everything, I mean everything. For example, if you are cooking sausage, when you are done and you need to put pepperoni in containers, you must wash your hands in between. We are also expected to do every task quickly and leave no mess behind. Being a part of a business and seeing how every job contributes to its success makes me appreciate how many tasks are necessary to keep a business in business.

I also realized (just as many teenagers working their first job do) that no matter the job, it will not be as glamorous as you thought. Just like everything else you do, there will be positives and negatives to your job. I have been very happy with my decision to work at the pizza shop. My boss is nice, the pay is decent, and who wouldn’t be happy with free pizza? So in my case I did pretty well. Occasionally I have to do a really annoying or tedious task, but I think that is true wherever you work.

The whole reason for having a job, however, is the simple need for cash. The equation is one that everybody knows: the more you work, the more money you make, which in turn increases the amount of stuff you can purchase. I love that now that I have a job, I can save up for whatever I want. I could even invest my earnings. There are endless possibilities for what I can do with my $7.50 an hour, which – even though it’s not much – does add up. I think I have a greater appreciation for what I buy with my money. Now that I know the hard work that goes into making money, I treat it with more respect.

Jobs are an important part of life, a rite of passage to adulthood. With a job comes great responsibility and expectations. I have no regrets about getting my job. It has given me a sense of what a true work environment is like – and a bit more of a jingle every time I shake my piggy bank.