Surprising | Teen Ink

Surprising

By Ashten Kneifl BRONZE, Cave Creek, Arizona
Ashten Kneifl BRONZE, Cave Creek, Arizona

My life was confusing and devastating. When I was 5 years old my mom and dad got divorced. It was really upsetting. But my brother and I got use to it. My brother Austin and I would see my dad like every other weekend.
When I turned 7 years old, my mom got remarried to a guy named Andy. Austin and I thought that my mom and Andy would stay married forever. But we were wrong. They got divorced when I was about 11 years old. My mom, Austin and I moved to a condo a few miles away. Austin got really depressed and out of control. Every night he would yell at my mom and they would argue nonstop. It was so bad that it got to the point where Austin moved in with our dad. It was devastating whenever I went to school because I always saw my brother there. I missed him so much. But I knew that he was happier there. Although I was crying almost every night I felt better a few weeks later. A few months later, my mom and I moved to Cave Creek. So I had to go to a new school, live in a new city, and a new house. My life actually got a lot better. I see my dad every once in a while, my brother comes over every other weekend, I can see my friends a lot more now, my mom got a new boyfriend and they want to get married, she wants another baby and I got a dog! My life has changed from depressing to joyful. I'm very happy I'm not the depressed person that I was before. Now my mom is a lot happier, Austin is a lot happier and so am I.