A Family in Prison This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I was five when I watched my dad get led out of a courtroom in handcuffs and shackles. There were so many people moving around, I wasn’t sure what was really happening. One thing I did see very clearly and will never forget was the tear rolling down his cheek. That was the first time I had ever seen him cry. Almost 11 years have passed and I still remember that day perfectly. That was the last time I saw my dad outside prison.

Being young, only in kindergarten, I was frightened by this terrifying place. Surrounded by barbed wire and razor fences, I thought it was a horror house. That first visit was just the first of many times I’d go through the process of being frisked and walking through metal detectors.

That first time my family and I stepped into a large room filled with dozens of men wearing blue uniforms, I wondered if the other inmates’ loved ones felt the way we did. The convicts looked almost like clones – until I saw my dad. He looked much thinner and really frail. My mom started crying, and he came over and hugged her.

It felt so surreal, like I was dreaming. Now I can hardly remember my dad without his uniform. Some mornings I wake up and, for a split second, forget he’s not home anymore. Then it hurts even worse when I remember where he is and that my mom and I will never have him back.

It hurts to think of all the special memories my dad didn’t share with us. All the birthday parties and family vacations he missed. It’s one of the worst feelings in the world for a girl to know that her father won’t be there to walk her down the aisle.

While my sisters, mom, and I are out living life, Dad is in that horrific place every minute of his life, only getting to see his family one day a week. My mother and I feel so much pain not having him with us, but I can’t begin to imagine his pain and suffering every day in there.

We continue to hope for a miracle. My dad will be eligible for parole in 2023. We continue to pray that an innocent man will be freed from his life sentence for a murder he did not commit.

dominicana said...
wow this poem made me feel so sad ♥ i feel realyy bad for ur father and i hope that he gets out soon im sur the person who commited the crime will pay for it

awesomeaugustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I will keep you in my prayers and I'm sorry sorry for you father and your family- God bless and a great piece

Rebelde189 said...
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad; the person who really committed the crime will pay for it one day and your father will have justice. Keep writing, and ever though your dad isn't with you physically, he'll always be with you.

allie929 replied...
Apr. 20, 2010 at 4:47 pm :
I'm really sorry about your dad. The real criminal will someday pay. 

S-Chique00 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 20, 2010 at 11:52 am:
Heart-wrenching, simply heart-wrenching. I know what it feels like knowing that your father won't be there to walk you down the aisle, but at least I know my father is in a safe and happy place, Heaven. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and of course your father. God bless and keep hope, there will be a rainbow

psycholinzmeier said...
Mar. 29, 2010 at 11:38 pm:
i hope they catch the person tht did comit the murder, so many ppl r in the wrong place at the wrong time n get acused of sumthing they didnt do. inspireing story.

alaskan_girl said...
Mar. 29, 2010 at 6:54 pm:
I am so sorry about your dad.something similar happened to my family.my uncle has been in jail since i was 15 and now im 19..almost 20.my family and i miss him so much but idk how long he is gona be in jail..hes going to be in jail for a very long time..so i know how u feel...i am soo sorry.

sasssgirrrl22 said...
Mar. 29, 2010 at 5:59 pm:
im so sorry bout ur dad. this is such a meaningful piece, very emotional. plz keep writing, & u r in my prayerz ;))

Destiny said...
Mar. 7, 2010 at 11:39 am:
i am sorry and hope you see your father out of jail

Zoughii This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 13, 2010 at 5:50 pm:
I know it must be so very hard for you but here is a quick inspiring story for you: about forty years ago my pop's best friend was sent to jail for a murder he swore he didn't commit after many years people started to lose faith and started to believe he did do it and that he would di in jail as he had been sentenced to life. 23 years later my pop was walking down the main street of a town close to where he lived when a man who my pop did not recognise walk up to him and said you don&#... (more »)

sillyaardvarkabc said...
Feb. 13, 2010 at 5:44 pm:
It is amazing how strong you have been, and the phrase that stuck out most to me was "It's one of the worst feelings in the world for a girl to know that her father won't be there to walk her down the aisle." I really am hoping for a miracle for you.

dancingirl said...
Feb. 13, 2010 at 1:14 pm:
I agree, this must of been extremely hard for you to write all this down. I hope that that miracle does happen for you and your family.

daughter_of_athena This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 13, 2010 at 10:34 am:
I think it took amazing strength for you to have gone through all of this and then write it all out. Thank you.

little-miss-sunshine said...
Feb. 13, 2010 at 10:25 am:
This article made me cry. I thank-you for posting such an emotional and personal piece. That takes a lot of courage.

Madison C. said...
Feb. 13, 2010 at 1:05 am:
This story is kind of similar to a movie called the Shawshank Redemption. I am so sorry about the false charges but just remember that life has a way of evening itself out.

legolas_elf said...
You're really strong to be able to write about this, and I know it must feel terrible that you're being deprived of someone so important to you like you're dad all because of false evidence. Thankfully, I have never experienced something like this, but, I'll keep you in my thoughts.

grace2719 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
praying for you! :)

crystal_lynn said...
Jan. 22, 2010 at 10:39 am:
I know how you feel my boyfriends been in jail for 6 months its hard knowing someone you love is locked up I'm only 17 so its hard being away from him but the wit will be worth it i tell myself that every morning and night when i go to bed

Emely J. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Remember that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And I think that you are VERY strong. And please remember that everything happens for a reason; the Lord knows what He's doing, so have faith!

XoLaUrEnOx7 said...
i think tht ur rlly brave 2 write about this. i would never be able to. i rlly hope tht some1 realizes it wasn't him. praying 4 u <3