A Family in Prison This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I was five when I watched my dad get led out of a courtroom in handcuffs and shackles. There were so many people moving around, I wasn’t sure what was really happening. One thing I did see very clearly and will never forget was the tear rolling down his cheek. That was the first time I had ever seen him cry. Almost 11 years have passed and I still remember that day perfectly. That was the last time I saw my dad outside prison.

Being young, only in kindergarten, I was frightened by this terrifying place. Surrounded by barbed wire and razor fences, I thought it was a horror house. That first visit was just the first of many times I’d go through the process of being frisked and walking through metal detectors.

That first time my family and I stepped into a large room filled with dozens of men wearing blue uniforms, I wondered if the other inmates’ loved ones felt the way we did. The convicts looked almost like clones – until I saw my dad. He looked much thinner and really frail. My mom started crying, and he came over and hugged her.

It felt so surreal, like I was dreaming. Now I can hardly remember my dad without his uniform. Some mornings I wake up and, for a split second, forget he’s not home anymore. Then it hurts even worse when I remember where he is and that my mom and I will never have him back.

It hurts to think of all the special memories my dad didn’t share with us. All the birthday parties and family vacations he missed. It’s one of the worst feelings in the world for a girl to know that her father won’t be there to walk her down the aisle.

While my sisters, mom, and I are out living life, Dad is in that horrific place every minute of his life, only getting to see his family one day a week. My mother and I feel so much pain not having him with us, but I can’t begin to imagine his pain and suffering every day in there.

We continue to hope for a miracle. My dad will be eligible for parole in 2023. We continue to pray that an innocent man will be freed from his life sentence for a murder he did not commit.

iluvnachoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 17, 2010 at 1:58 pm:
I loved it. I hope you and your family see your father again. Wonderful piece

sweetchyck123 said...
Jul. 17, 2010 at 12:15 pm:
wow this is an amzing peice of writing i am going through the same thing with my uncle best of luck to your dad and stay strong

TurtleShellTristani This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 17, 2010 at 8:32 am:
you really conveyed such bad events in a beautiful way. the best way to let out emotion is to write. thank you for sharing your emotions with us. I will be praying

shaniab said...
Jul. 6, 2010 at 3:09 pm:
Omgosh I am so sorry and that is Horrible i will wish the best for you and your family. Never lose Faith.

Drama_Queen13 said...
Jun. 25, 2010 at 5:20 pm:
This was absoultly beautiful, and I am so very sorry for you and your family. Let your father know hes in my prayers

citydancer94This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 25, 2010 at 2:03 pm:

this is so unjust. i am so sorry. i cried when i read this. i'll be praying for you too. i'll be praying that God brings justice to this world and to your family. i cannot even begin to try to understand how you feel.

be in peace. because the one who made you will work everything out for the fulfillment of his plan. don't ever doubt that he has abandoned you. The Lord loves you dearly.

Dawnheart said...
Jun. 25, 2010 at 1:48 pm:

I'm so sorry. I'll be praying for you!

Wounderfuly written, by the way.

Still_Waters26 said...
Jun. 25, 2010 at 1:32 pm:
wow, that's so sad and so injust for them to do that to your father.  Find a lawyer, this is so wrong.

Thrush said...
Jun. 25, 2010 at 1:14 pm:
Gorgeously writen. I'm sorry you needed to write it. It's really good.

musiclover123 said...
Jun. 25, 2010 at 7:37 am:

this was beautiful and im really sorry about your father

i wish you didnt have to write it...

take care <3<3

Betty said...
Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:59 pm:
this was beautifully written. this almost made me cry. i am so so sorry about your father. i hope the best for him and your family <3

Lanier42 said...
Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:00 pm:

ohmigosh, i'm so sory :'(

this piece was beautifly written, but i wish for your sake that you didn't have to write it.

Allykattz said...
May 12, 2010 at 8:02 pm:
Im so sorry for what you have to go through. I know the torture of having a father in prison and i can say from experience that you are not alone in your pain. Great work, very moving piece.

SassyJones said...
May 12, 2010 at 6:25 pm:
god- im so sorry for what your family has to got through. You should hire a lawyer- you can always reopen a case if he is innocent. 

WritingLoverForever said...
May 12, 2010 at 5:46 pm:
My jaw dropped when I read that he will be eligible for parole in 2023. That's such a long time for now! I'm sorry that your father is in prison and thanks for sharing this story. It's beautifully written and very heartfelt. And keep writing! :)

~EmilyC~ This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 12, 2010 at 5:46 pm:
I'll pray for you. I hope your dad gets out & they catch that @!$#* that really committed the crime! This is excellent writing, by the way,

sulamansk481 said...
May 12, 2010 at 4:48 pm:
feel so sad hope he gets out :(

nikka12345678999 said...
May 12, 2010 at 3:48 pm:
wow this is so heartfelt i really feel your pain

Tomboy said...
May 12, 2010 at 10:07 am:
karama.  the person who did it will get what they deserve.  everything happens for a reason and im srry you got the bad part of it

BlackKittie replied...
May 12, 2010 at 3:41 pm :
it's true.karma will always catch up with you!