A Family in Prison This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I was five when I watched my dad get led out of a courtroom in handcuffs and shackles. There were so many people moving around, I wasn’t sure what was really happening. One thing I did see very clearly and will never forget was the tear rolling down his cheek. That was the first time I had ever seen him cry. Almost 11 years have passed and I still remember that day perfectly. That was the last time I saw my dad outside prison.

Being young, only in kindergarten, I was frightened by this terrifying place. Surrounded by barbed wire and razor fences, I thought it was a horror house. That first visit was just the first of many times I’d go through the process of being frisked and walking through metal detectors.

That first time my family and I stepped into a large room filled with dozens of men wearing blue uniforms, I wondered if the other inmates’ loved ones felt the way we did. The convicts looked almost like clones – until I saw my dad. He looked much thinner and really frail. My mom started crying, and he came over and hugged her.

It felt so surreal, like I was dreaming. Now I can hardly remember my dad without his uniform. Some mornings I wake up and, for a split second, forget he’s not home anymore. Then it hurts even worse when I remember where he is and that my mom and I will never have him back.

It hurts to think of all the special memories my dad didn’t share with us. All the birthday parties and family vacations he missed. It’s one of the worst feelings in the world for a girl to know that her father won’t be there to walk her down the aisle.

While my sisters, mom, and I are out living life, Dad is in that horrific place every minute of his life, only getting to see his family one day a week. My mother and I feel so much pain not having him with us, but I can’t begin to imagine his pain and suffering every day in there.

We continue to hope for a miracle. My dad will be eligible for parole in 2023. We continue to pray that an innocent man will be freed from his life sentence for a murder he did not commit.

Gryre12 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:58 am:
I hope that you can see your dad more often. It seems that is very hard time for you.

blogster II said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:55 am:
The story is about her dad who gets put in jail for the crime he didnt commit.

eyebrow buggers said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:54 am:
The story a bout the dad in jail is sad but nice description on the prison and your dad.

Google Administrator said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:54 am:
This article really got me. As my father has an arrest warrant over his head and i havent seen him in over 10 years i kind of know how you feel.

flyboy07 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:52 am:
I've never had anything like this, but I have had many sad events in my live and there will be more.

Sunshine6724 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:17 am:
that was a very touching story about your dad. This is a great piece of writing where all the details are arranged perfectly.

SK8 for life said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:17 am:
Nice job on wording description

Screen Name said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:15 am:
Wow, It would be horrible not having a dad in your family. I know some people who dont have dads and its tough for them too.

mikie said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:11 am:
im so sory you had go throw that as a kid it must have been tough

RocketMan said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:10 am:
Its sad he starts out with his dad going to prison when he is only five years old.

annabanana13 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:05 am:
Your writing was very deep, and powerful, yet at the sametime you told us a story, but you kept it all on one thought, and you kept it consistent! I was honestly intrigued by it(:

stikz23 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:25 am:
wow thats so sad and you have an amazing tallent for writing good job

columbine said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:24 am:
the story was really strong and really made me think about what your feeling. i think its so unfair that people get freamed into jail...........

Bill the science guy said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:23 am:
Thats pretty sad I hope your dad gets out soon since he did not commit the crime.

dude840 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:21 am:
That's said how you can't see your dad outside prison until 2023.

devils 92 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:21 am:
Thats a very sad story you have some great tallent for writing  

SALT said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:18 am:
Your writing was so detailed. Im sorry I have been in your shoes. I love how you described your feelings. To be honest I want to hug you now.

MORMS said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:18 am:
I totally agree this a was a great piece of writing and i enjoyed it very much.

Dee11 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:18 am:
Your story blew me away. I can really relate to what your going through. Great great job.

PEPPER said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:17 am:
I know how you feel down to the exact point. You now this is a heart felt, true story when you feel like crying while your reading. i loved the way ou described the way you feel about his innocence and i belive he is. There is no reason for an innocent person to be suffering from somebody elses wrong doing and it makes me so sick that people everyday are cinvicted of things they wouldnt ever do. Im very sorry for your loss and hope you get better.