A Family in Prison This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I was five when I watched my dad get led out of a courtroom in handcuffs and shackles. There were so many people moving around, I wasn’t sure what was really happening. One thing I did see very clearly and will never forget was the tear rolling down his cheek. That was the first time I had ever seen him cry. Almost 11 years have passed and I still remember that day perfectly. That was the last time I saw my dad outside prison.

Being young, only in kindergarten, I was frightened by this terrifying place. Surrounded by barbed wire and razor fences, I thought it was a horror house. That first visit was just the first of many times I’d go through the process of being frisked and walking through metal detectors.

That first time my family and I stepped into a large room filled with dozens of men wearing blue uniforms, I wondered if the other inmates’ loved ones felt the way we did. The convicts looked almost like clones – until I saw my dad. He looked much thinner and really frail. My mom started crying, and he came over and hugged her.

It felt so surreal, like I was dreaming. Now I can hardly remember my dad without his uniform. Some mornings I wake up and, for a split second, forget he’s not home anymore. Then it hurts even worse when I remember where he is and that my mom and I will never have him back.

It hurts to think of all the special memories my dad didn’t share with us. All the birthday parties and family vacations he missed. It’s one of the worst feelings in the world for a girl to know that her father won’t be there to walk her down the aisle.

While my sisters, mom, and I are out living life, Dad is in that horrific place every minute of his life, only getting to see his family one day a week. My mother and I feel so much pain not having him with us, but I can’t begin to imagine his pain and suffering every day in there.

We continue to hope for a miracle. My dad will be eligible for parole in 2023. We continue to pray that an innocent man will be freed from his life sentence for a murder he did not commit.

Kaho said...
Oct. 21 at 9:59 am:
I am so sorry... it's very sad story and this story touched my heart. I was crying while I read your story. I noticed famiy is very important. I'll say thank you to my father.  I pray for you and your family.

NewsiesfreakThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:56 am:
I remember going through the same process of seeing  my dad in prison. But your lucky... you get to still see him. mine doesbn't want me in his life anymore.

Dakota88zxcThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
That last part just broke my heart. And how this is nonfiction too. You're amazing for being so strong, and I hope your dad is okay too.

MarieAntoinette2012 said...
Sept. 7, 2012 at 11:58 am:
It seems all the people who really did do something go free, while innocent people get life, and we pick up the pieces. I'm so sorry. Please stay strong. I hope your Dad can keep going and make it through.

Forbidden1This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I hope they find evidence that proves your fathers innocence. Life can be so unfair sometimes I have found. Tell your father that others are praying for him! You and your family shall prevail! Have hope & do not despair!

BloglessBlogger said...
May 29, 2012 at 3:22 pm:
Keep praying. This is in God's hands. Try and find a way to keep him always in your thoughts. I don't know what your going through but neither does anyone else. Keep a smile on your face and live each day as it comes...

KatsviewThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 2, 2012 at 1:08 pm:
I'm so sorry. I'll pray for you and your family as well. I recently  read about a case of a man who was innocent but was charged for life, but then got out. Great job!!!

ElkieLion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 6:18 pm:
I'll pray for you :)

jazzie 2010 said...
Jan. 18, 2012 at 9:40 am:
I feel your pain I dont have my dad either because he went to jail for something he didnt do.

ninja17 said...
This story touched my heart. Amazing job!

Mpbeanie said...
God bless you, your father, mother and your entire family. There are many problems these days with the justice system. Now a days innocent men and women have been put behind bars for crimes they haven't committed. I hope you are reunited with your father sooner than expected. GREAT WRITING!

l.iney said...
Great Job on this it breaks my heart to hear this story

Mirisa said...
Dec. 5, 2011 at 10:46 am:
I have so many friends and know so many people who have been sent to prision for things that they have not done. It makes me sick to my stomach. I am so sorry.

dude said...
Dec. 5, 2011 at 8:37 am:
i feel so sorry for you. i hope for the best

The_Math_Guy said...

Justice is blind, but sometimes too blind.

The way you write through tragedy is admirable. Keep writing, and keep hoping.

Mremk said...

Wow. That's really sad. I hope for a miracle as well. I'm so sorry

clumsyteardropper said...
i'm so sorry that you have been deprived of your own father.  you and your family (along with your father) will be and stay in my prayers.  you're not alone out here.  i can't say that i can relate, but there are people out here that have got your back. :)  hold on tight to your sisters and your mother.  i don't even have to tell you to not take them for granted, becuase I'm sure that you don't.  be strong, God bless

stayingoldThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I thought this was nonfiction?

irishlass317 said...
Oh my goodness. This is so amazing. Good luck to you, your family, and your dad. I will be praying for you guys!!

HannahLaRen said...
Nov. 13, 2011 at 8:49 am:
Amazing story, I honestly couldn't take my eyes off the words. I know how you feel, It does suck. But i will pray for you, and ur family. Good luck. and keep writing! Great job!(: