A Family in Prison | Teen Ink

A Family in Prison MAG

I was five when I watched my dad get led out of a courtroom in handcuffs and shackles. There were so many people moving around, I wasn’t sure what was really happening. One thing I did see very clearly and will never forget was the tear rolling down his cheek. That was the first time I had ever seen him cry. Almost 11 years have passed and I still remember that day perfectly. That was the last time I saw my dad outside prison.

Being young, only in kindergarten, I was frightened by this terrifying place. Surrounded by barbed wire and razor fences, I thought it was a horror house. That first visit was just the first of many times I’d go through the process of being frisked and walking through metal detectors.

That first time my family and I stepped into a large room filled with dozens of men wearing blue uniforms, I wondered if the other inmates’ loved ones felt the way we did. The convicts looked almost like clones – until I saw my dad. He looked much thinner and really frail. My mom started crying, and he came over and hugged her.

It felt so surreal, like I was dreaming. Now I can hardly remember my dad without his uniform. Some mornings I wake up and, for a split second, forget he’s not home anymore. Then it hurts even worse when I remember where he is and that my mom and I will never have him back.

It hurts to think of all the special memories my dad didn’t share with us. All the birthday parties and family vacations he missed. It’s one of the worst feelings in the world for a girl to know that her father won’t be there to walk her down the aisle.

While my sisters, mom, and I are out living life, Dad is in that horrific place every minute of his life, only getting to see his family one day a week. My mother and I feel so much pain not having him with us, but I can’t begin to imagine his pain and suffering every day in there.

We continue to hope for a miracle. My dad will be eligible for parole in 2023. We continue to pray that an innocent man will be freed from his life sentence for a murder he did not commit.

sb123 said...
on Aug. 30 2022 at 3:56 am
sb123, San Francisco, California
I'm sorry I can't imagine what you and your family are going through, I hope the justice system does it's job

on Sep. 7 2017 at 6:17 am
Realjay41 DIAMOND, Culpeper , Virginia
I'm so sorry to hear about your father. But he'll always be in your heart. He loves you so much. If he's innocent, then they were wrong to take him in. If he's guilty, I don't know what else to say.

on Apr. 28 2017 at 7:16 pm
HereSheIs BRONZE, Wellesley, Massachusetts

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." -Plato

I'm so sorry and I hope everything turns out okay. Good for you for writing this, and it's very well-written, descriptive, and emotional.

carl said...
on Jul. 16 2016 at 11:02 pm
May the good god be wit ur family

on Apr. 19 2016 at 8:00 am
itsrainingcats GOLD, East Hampton, Connecticut

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Suess

You are very courageous for posting this, best of wishes and luck for you, your family, and your father.

BigDaddy00 said...
on Jan. 25 2016 at 7:01 am
BigDaddy00, Riyadh, Other
Well, maybe your dad did commit the murder and he just didn't want to tell you, because he thought you will have a bad thought about him. But still it is sad.

on Nov. 24 2015 at 5:55 pm
emmakate45 SILVER, Avon, Connecticut

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”― Dr. Seuss

I am so sorry. I will pray for your family, and especially your father. The innocent never deserve this. You are so strong for posting your story.

Kaho said...
on Oct. 21 2013 at 9:59 am
I am so sorry... it's very sad story and this story touched my heart. I was crying while I read your story. I noticed famiy is very important. I'll say thank you to my father.  I pray for you and your family.

on Oct. 8 2012 at 11:56 am
City_Of_Angels PLATINUM, West Des Moines, Iowa
I remember going through the same process of seeing  my dad in prison. But your lucky... you get to still see him. mine doesbn't want me in his life anymore.

notmehaha GOLD said...
on Sep. 16 2012 at 6:44 pm
notmehaha GOLD, Suffolk, Virginia

"Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Suess

That last part just broke my heart. And how this is nonfiction too. You're amazing for being so strong, and I hope your dad is okay too.

on Sep. 7 2012 at 11:58 am
MarieAntoinette2014 DIAMOND, Scottsburg, Indiana

Isn't it ironic? We ignore the ones who adore us, adore the ones who ignore us, love the ones who hurt us, and hurt the ones that love us.

It seems all the people who really did do something go free, while innocent people get life, and we pick up the pieces. I'm so sorry. Please stay strong. I hope your Dad can keep going and make it through.

on Aug. 25 2012 at 10:44 pm
Forbidden1 SILVER, Park City, Utah

The wildest colts make the best horses!

I hope they find evidence that proves your fathers innocence. Life can be so unfair sometimes I have found. Tell your father that others are praying for him! You and your family shall prevail! Have hope & do not despair!

on May. 29 2012 at 3:22 pm
BloglessBlogger GOLD, Somerset, California

"Don't let the fear of striking out keep keep you from playing the game."

Keep praying. This is in God's hands. Try and find a way to keep him always in your thoughts. I don't know what your going through but neither does anyone else. Keep a smile on your face and live each day as it comes...

KatsK DIAMOND said...
on Mar. 2 2012 at 1:08 pm
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

I'm so sorry. I'll pray for you and your family as well. I recently  read about a case of a man who was innocent but was charged for life, but then got out. Great job!!!

on Feb. 9 2012 at 6:18 pm
Amyelisee BRONZE, Lake Bluff, Illinois
I'll pray for you :)

jazzie 2010 said...
on Jan. 18 2012 at 9:40 am
I feel your pain I dont have my dad either because he went to jail for something he didnt do.

ninja17 SILVER said...
on Dec. 5 2011 at 8:06 pm
ninja17 SILVER, Las Cruces, New Mexico

"Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who wouldn't give up on them."

This story touched my heart. Amazing job!

Mpbeanie said...
on Dec. 5 2011 at 7:55 pm
Mpbeanie, Middletown, New York

"I need you to try. Look around. Everyone is broken. If you continue to wear the label, that's all you'll ever be."

God bless you, your father, mother and your entire family. There are many problems these days with the justice system. Now a days innocent men and women have been put behind bars for crimes they haven't committed. I hope you are reunited with your father sooner than expected. GREAT WRITING!

l.iney DIAMOND said...
on Dec. 5 2011 at 7:51 pm
l.iney DIAMOND, Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

100% of shots not taken won't go in. -Wayne Gretzky

Great Job on this it breaks my heart to hear this story

on Dec. 5 2011 at 10:46 am
BibliophileFreak BRONZE, Deatsville, Alabama

A kiss makes the heart young again and wipes out the years.
-Rupert Brooke

I have so many friends and know so many people who have been sent to prision for things that they have not done. It makes me sick to my stomach. I am so sorry.