American | Teen Ink

American

By Lexie_Lynn GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Lexie_Lynn GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

"Don't count the times you fall, count the times you get back up."

I am proud to be an american because of Martin Luther King Jr and how he fought for equal rights and against poverty. He was adored and respected by many. “I have a dream.” The “dream” he made came true and rests today. Today, we all accept the fact that we are equal. King is inspiring because he made a vast change and drew others to look at diversity in a positive perspective.
King did not only fight for equal rights, but he also fought against poverty. Although, poverty exists in many places to this day, there are treasuring and loving people here to help those in need. I don’t know the feeling of the strong physical, emotional, and verbal pain, but if I were there during those days, I would have been someone racists disliked. I would have took action by helping the slaves and their families no matter the consequences.
“I have a dream that one day my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by their content of their character." This quote by King shows how much he cared about the millions of people who weren't "free" enough to do the things that the whites could do. That is why he inspires me so much.
Friendship isn't about the color of your skin, but it's about the words you say to other people that come from your heart. Freedom isn't free but the freedom of speech is and it’s the freedom to explain to others right from wrong. History is amazing--seeing the changes that have happened and the more challenges to come. I am proud to be an American because someone so important made the best change in the world, and people still honor King today.

I have been thinking about important things my country has done for me and everyone else in America and how I am here today.