Little Big Man | Teen Ink

Little Big Man MAG

In the brisk temperatures of Canada, a gutsy 5-foot-9-inch phenomenon is shattering numerous passing records while playing for the British Columbia Lions of the Canadien Football League. His name is Doug Flutie. Ya, remember him? He is the player the New England Patriots released on waiver a few short years ago. According to the Patriots, "Doug was too short to be a successful quarterback in the National Football League." Flutie was given a fair chance but he never led the Patriots to a Super Bowl.

Flutie, a native of Natick, was a standout quarterback at Natick High School and at Boston College. He was drafted by the New England Patriots in 1985. After two erratic seasons of failure, Doug was released by the Patriots. Then Flutie played two seasons with the Chicago Bears. He showed little promise while in Chicago also and was released again.

After four unsuccessful years in the N.F.L., Flutie was signed by the British Columbia Lions of the Canadien Football League. Doug was destined to be a prominent quarterback. Doug's work ethic is second to none. He is the first player on the practice field and the last to leave. By watching film after film, working on footwork, and studying pass patterns, Doug has earned the starting quarterback position at British Columbia.

Now not only does he have the starting quarterback position, he is shattering numerous passing records (such as yards passing) in the Canadien Football League. Doug now has 5,676 yards passing, surpassing the previous record of 5,648 of the C.F.L.

At 5 foot 9, Doug is by no means physically gifted. How could a man of his size stand up to three hundred pound linemen, if he did not have a lot of heart? That is why Doug Flutie is the Little Big Man. n