Recovering is Everything | Teen Ink

Recovering is Everything

Retrogressing about this horrific day brings back the exact same feelings that showered my heart with devastation. On January 23, 2006, I woke up to what I thought was a normal day. My mom had cooked a warm breakfast and we later gathered around the fireplace to plan my sister's upcoming birthday. Due to our stuffed stomachs, we all fell asleep unexpectingly; forgetting about the fire.
Within moments, we all woke up to a house full of dark smoke and blazing fires. The burning of the furniture caused an unbearable stench. I could hear the windows bursting from the force of the treacherous fire. Immediately, my body shook with debility. My first instinct was to help my family safely exit our evanescent home. I would be spurious if I said I was unmarred at the time. My body shook with fear and rage. After exiting our home and watching it vanish, I became heinous thinking,"Why did this have to happen to us?" Our home was a complete holocaust! Overlooking my feelings, I had begun to mollify my mother. Knowing that everything she'd worked for was being demolished, broke her down into a deep state of depression.
As the word spread through the community, everyone was there to comfort and assimilate us. However, they were ruthless, which is what I preferred. I didn't want people to feel sorry for us because I was in denial. I was in denail because I didn't want to accept the fact that my house where I spent every Birthday, every Christmas, the place I called my own... was gone.
Despite the hardships we've dealt with, we soon came to light. Luckily, our home was insured therefore was recovered quickly. Althogh I love my new home, I sometimes miss what I like to call "my past." My mom would often say "what don't kill you will only make you stronger." Indeed, I am stronger mentally and emotionally.