A Driver's Real Nightmare | Teen Ink

A Driver's Real Nightmare MAG

By Anonymous

   Recently near the end of the day, I was filling out my car registration form when I was interrupted by two sophomore girls, Laurie and Alison. They asked me to drive them out to lunch and I was easily persuaded. On our way out, Scott, Jill and Leslie asked to come. I realized that this would make four in the back seat, but "lapping it up" is a common practice. These were friends, and it was the last period, so what could happen.

We walked across the parking lot, avoiding puddles and on-coming cars in the rain. As we piled into my (1984) Honda Accord, Laurie called "shotgun" and Leslie decided to sit on Jill's lap.

As we drove out of the lot, my car skidded a little, almost propelling us into the other lane. I grinned sheepisly as everyone complained of being tossed around. I wasn't surprised at the skid, as the ground was wet and my car is very light.

I continued, taking the right turn onto Roosevelt. This corner has long been known to students as dangerous. The road is narrow and the turn is very sharp.

Almost immediately into the turn my car lost traction. We were headed towards a tree on the right, at a speed of about 25 mph. I whipped the wheel away , towards another tree on the left.

Despite this last paragraph, I actually don't remember what happend very clearly. Only a few scenes have stamped themselves in my mind. I remember losing the friction of the road against my tires. I remember seeing the tree before hitting it. I remember the "crunch" of impact. I remember picking my head up off of the windshield.

Immediately, Jill, Scott, Alison and I ran out of the car instinctively. I flagged down the car behind us, and told the driver to call the police. Just then, I heard Jill yell,"There are people left in the car."

I ran back and pulled Leslie from the floor of the back seat where she lay dazed. Alison and I pulled Laurie out. Laurie's forehead was bleeding, and she was unconscious. I remember thinking, she's dead, and my thoughts were soon echoed by Alison's screams.

In a daze, I rushed to a nearby house. I told the man inside to call 911, and grabbed a towel for Laurie's head. By this time she was being attended to by people from the neighborhood. Alison, Jill, and Leslie were sitting, crying, on a nearby curb. Scott was also sitting, holding a towel to his swollen, bleeding nose.

When the police arrived, I answered their questions as best I could. I couldn't see much out of my right eye, but I remember seeing Laurie lying motionless on the ground and thinking, How am I going to live with this?

The next few minutes were chaotic, with people being hustled into ambulances. We were sent to three different hospitals so there would be room for all of us. After an hour of waiting in a stiff collar, I was X-rayed and diagnosed with a concussion, and a sprained neck. I felt lucky.

I was surprised to see many friends in the waiting room. That day and the next, I began to feel like Ferris Bueller. You know, "Community Rallies Around Sick Youth." I'm sure other accident victims feel the same way. It's a tribute to Newton South, and our community that this kind of support is offered. I would personally like to thank everyone for caring.

This is going to end up sounding like a commercial, but I'm serious. I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else. My memories of seeing Laurie, and the tree, will be with me forever. So will the guilt of having injured some of my good friends. Don't pack your cars and wear seatbelts. n