Open Letter to the Class of 2014 | Teen Ink

Open Letter to the Class of 2014

By cmaloney96 BRONZE, Middletown, New York
cmaloney96 BRONZE, Middletown, New York

Dear Fellow Graduates,

Congratulations. You've done all that was asked of you, and in many cases, beyond that. Now, you've been granted access into the great and terrible world that lies ahead. Most of your lives have been planned for you up to this point, and now you have the chance to put some of your own plans into action.

When I was about ten, there was one night when my grandmother and I had spent over an hour driving in circles, searching for the restaurant we'd chosen for dinner that night. As the sun began to set on both the day, and any hopes I had of satisfying my appetite, I suggested we give up and order in. After about the third time I had suggested this, my grandmother responded, "No! This is how I found the place to begin with; I had to get lost first. It's how I've found all the best things."

With that said fellow graduates, I hope I'm not among the first to tell you: It's okay to get lost. Not everything will go according to plan. Let opportunities open their doors to you; you need not always be picking the locks.

Unfortunately, we live in a time when a degree in what will earn you the highest salary is endorsed over what you are truly passionate about. It's a time when those who embrace the ambiguity of their futures are vilified by those who have forgotten what it's like to view the contingency of life through the very same lenses of the seemingly invincible youth. However, now is when I encourage you ignore them. I encourage you to explore. I hope you find what you love and get lost in it, because now is the time that you can. Because that's how you'll find all the best things in life.

Congratulations Class of 2014. Good luck.

Sincerely,
A Member of the Invincible Youth