Field Day

The dust had made its way though my mask and made any thoughts other than water hard to comprehend.
It was a hot July day and when the sun reflected off the bunkers, it only made the heat worse. I closed my eyes and mentally took inventory of my collection of bruises, bumps and scrapes.
It was the twenty something round of one-on-ones that I had done with T that day, I had lost every one. I was shaking so badly out of anger and frustration that I was tempted to quit right then. I looked up and saw Trysten trotting down the field in my direction. I braced myself for some comment on how I was leading with with my elbow, giving my position away with shadows or some other trivel hint.
He looked me square in the eye and told me a life skill. “Mike, relax, take a deep breath and focus on letting your shoulders fall. When they do, you know your ready, grab your gun and lets try it again. If they don't, don't bother playing, your doing nothing but wasting my time.” I didn't win that next game, nor the one after, but I truly did take away something I will use the rest of my life.