Steve M., Father | Teen Ink

Steve M., Father MAG

I have his curly telephone-cord hair, his long, lanky legs, his sense of humor,and much more. My father gave me life, but did not stop there. He changes my lifeevery day with a hug the force of a hurricane, no matter how many hours he hasworked. I only see him a few minutes a day, but they are often thebrightest and most influential.

Growing up, I went to school andhad the ABCs and other basic facts jammed into my mind. At night, however, Ilearned the important things. My father didn't care if I couldn't make it past"B" in the alphabet as long as I knew it stood forbravery.

Shakespeare wrote, "It is a wise father that knows his ownchild." My dad knows me better than anyone. I consider him very wise. Hispresence possesses a certain brightness. He passes this feeling to me,consistently brightening my mood.

I used to believe my father occupied hisown wavelength - always tuned-in, with no static or commercial breaks. I oftenwish I could carry his wavelength on my radio everywhere I go, but when I'm awayfrom him I'm tuned into the station of stress, insecurity and vulnerability. Thisis a station that makes me wish I could lower my antenna and tune out. The timespent with my father, in his wavelength, is irreplaceable joy.

When my dadhugs me, he transmits his joyfulness to me, sending a warm invitation to hisstress-free world, and I am reminded of all that he has given me. He has taughtme everything from riding a bike to doing what's right. He inspires me to be morelike him - laid-back yet a hard worker, easy to get along with, and with a strongsense of what's important. He makes me want to do everything to make adifference.

When I come home after practice and a long day at school I amfrantic, loaded with homework and stress. As soon as my father arrives, however,he gives to me his worry-free atmosphere. I wish I could spend days at a timestudying him as a child studies a superhero. He is my hero, and every day of hislife is another action-packed episode ready for broadcast from his wavelength. Imay be the only receiver of his station, but every child needs a superhero and astation to tune to.

My father usually goes to bed before me, but knowinghe is in the house makes me feel secure. Every night when he says good-bye my dayends and I await the struggle of the next day. But the struggle is easier knowingI'll see him the next night. He is why I continue.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

I thought that the ending paragraph would be a little too much, but I'm so glad you included it. You are so fortunate to have such a wonderful fatherly figure in your life. (: I loved the metaphor you used... Wow.