The Meteorite In My Library This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

There’s a meteorite in my school’s library. Over half of the people who walk through the door don’t notice it, and probably never will. It just sits quietly in a display case on the lower floor. People pass by and don’t stop to wonder. A huge chunk of dull grey metal from outer space.

I stop today, and examined it for the third time. I read the description, and one of the lines caught my eye. “Almost every ‘shooting star’ you see at night is actually a meteor. When a meteor hits Earth it’s called a meteorite.”

I pause thoughtfully, pressing my hands to the clear glass. And then I imagine the piece of metal before me heating up, glowing red-orange as it hurtles through our atmosphere, finally making contact with our planet in a cloud of dirt and debris.

A boy walks up next to me and says, “Cool....” Of course, people usually notice things when someone else is looking at it. I stare at him, turn, and walk back to my place in the quiet library. And the meteorite sits there, glinting dully under the fluorescent lights, just waiting to be noticed again.

DisneyGirl17 said...
Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:53 pm:
Huh. I never even noticed! But I suppose that's the point. XD Lovely lovely~

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:43 am:
I like how you wrote this peice about how there are such cool things that people over look. It was very well written! :)

aladine_98 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:46 pm :
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. :)