Mother - Cynthia B. | Teen Ink

Mother - Cynthia B. MAG

By Anonymous

     My mother has been a true inspiration to me and permanently altered the way I look at life. Since my birth she has made it evident that I would become something, that I would be one of the great ones. She has taught me that I can do anything if I put my mind to it.

As a young boy, I struggled to achieve tasks that came easily to most. I had problems writing, reading and especially speaking. I did not talk the way normal kids did and did not respond to questions or stay alert to my surroundings. My reading was poor even with teachers helping me, and my speech was hard to understand. My writing was not at the level it should have been. Even simple things like knowing my left from my right or being able to snap my fingers were problems.

My mother observed all my challenges and, as a professor with a Ph.D., decided to change the situation early in my development. She did not want me to struggle. After a while, we did indeed conquer all the problems that had plagued me. She spent hours every day teaching me everything I needed to know, determined to help me learn. Without her I would not be anywhere close to the level I am now.

In addition, she set guidelines for my life. She told me what to do and what not to do. Her expectations have always been high because she knows that I can do it. For that, I thank her. She would not allow her son to be incapable. She never gave up on me, and to this day she tells me education is essential. I will be a successful person if I continue to follow her lead. She encourages me to work for my grades and wants me to attend college.

She used her gifts as a teacher to help a child - her child - and now I have the opportunity to become something. She is one of my best friends, and I will always thank her for never giving up on me.