Dear Friend | Teen Ink

Dear Friend

October 7, 2012
By Anonymous

Dear Friend,

First and foremost, thank you for causing me endless of misery during our school days. If it wasn’t for you, I would not be here writing (or typing) this letter to you. Because of you, I am stronger now. I don’t know why you dislike me- I know, you see. Although this has taken me a while to figure this out. I like to think that it’s because I’ve had better grades than you. I have to admit, when you see a friend succeed, you die a little on the inside. Bear this in mind that I’m not trying to show off, rather I’m just pondering over countless of reasons why you treat me like I’m worthless. Come to think of it, I shouldn’t have started the letter off as ‘Dear Friend’. Oh the irony… Well, whatever. Of course, it’s not entirely your fault. It’s mine too. I should have found the time to talk to you. I should have told you how I felt. But now that we’ve graduated, what’s the point?
I have a bad vibe when it comes to trusting people. I revealed my secret to you. Because of my poor judgement of character, I was teased for years. Can you imagine the embarrassment and pain I’ve been through? Of course not. I’m not confident in making new friends. Due to what I’ve been through, my brain tells me that everyone is out to hurt me. Honestly speaking, something tells me that you’re jubilant over this. Have you no shame? It’s even worse when it comes to exam. Why do you have to make everything out of a competition? I have decent grades because I studied hard for them. You made me feel as if I should feel guilty about it. Why? Does causing me pain make you feel better? You even caused my friendships with other people to suffer. Why do you always twist my words? All these have caused countless of misunderstandings. Then again, all of these are ineffable. Maybe we’re just not meant to be friends. We might not say it out loud, but you and I know this. We will never be friends. Scratch that. We are friends- only on the outside. That’s how we work. If you’ve seen this, you might label me as a weakling, that I’m feeling sad because I do not understand life.
All these are a blur to you, but not to me. It leaves a scar- kind of like a broken mirror. I tell myself it’s okay, that it’s time to move on. So thank you. Thank you for leaving me these unfortunate memories. I like to think that I (and to those who’s reading this- I don’t know why you’re reading this. You probably have time to spare or you might be thinking that this is a special read. Anyway, thanks) am now a stronger person.


Yours sincerely,
P